Beet Leaves?
  Re: (...)
Ok, so Billy has inspired me to try pickled beets, which btw, I have always hated. I won't tell you my gross childhood story of what happened when I ate a pickled beet thinking it was yummy cranberry sauce.

Anyway, I bought some beets with more leaves than beets, and it seems like an awful waste to throw them away. Am I supposed to eat the leaves or toss them? Do they taste good? Thoughts anyone?
Tammy
  Re: Beet Leaves? by TwilightKitten (Ok, so Billy has ins...)
Not a clue.....saute them and try. Couldn't hurt, you're going to throw them away anyway!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by Bizymomma (Not a clue.....saute...)
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/00...greens.php
Just looked this up!!
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by Bizymomma ([url=http://www.elis...)
Well, I'll darned, who'da thunk?

Tammy, I used to hate beets, pickled or otherwise until I tasted my neighbors pickled ones. I was going to pass on tasting them, but thought that it'd been years since I'd tried them. I make a habit of periodically tasting things I don't like to see if my tastes have changed. They had! The only thing I WILL NOT try again is liver!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by Bizymomma ([url=http://www.elis...)
The young leaves are a common addition to our salads and I like them. They are just lovely raw, I have never cooked them, but have only used the young leaves. If the leaves are are a little course, then I can see how well they would go with silverbeet, really lovely combo. Or spinach, though that is used far less here than silverbeet. They would go well with the more mature silverbeet sold in supermarkets and used in the frozen product. A dressing of sour cream and a bit of scrape with nutmeg is pleasing too. However, I do see now how a light steaming of the two togeth would be quite the bees knees. I will do it.
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by bjcotton (Well, I'll darned, w...)
Angela, thanks for the recipe...maybe I'll give it a try. It looks easy enough, right?

Billy, I also try things I didn't use to like to see if my tastes changed. I used to hate capers and now I love them. I haven't tried the dreaded lima bean since I was a kid...I wonder if I'd like them now. lol...and I've never had liver....is it really that bad???
Tammy
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by vannin (The young leaves are...)
I think these leaves are old...they don't look very tender and they are huge! Dressing of sour cream and nutmeg does sound yummy though.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by vannin (The young leaves are...)
Billy, beloved brother. When you come here I will make liver for you. I will, don't cancel your booking. It will be sliced a max of 1/4 thick. Dredged in seasoned flour, and very briefly cooked both sides. It will be served interleaved with Pokeno bacon, with fried fresh toms., shrooms, and eggs if you fancy them. I have never cooked this, have only had it in the North Syndney League Club, from an old shrivelled chinese cook. Magnificent.

If you are game I am game. watchathink.

PS. I had only seen liver served in lumpy great pieces before, with a slidey sort of grainey gravy. That was at Waitakere Hospital, in 1965, our chinaman at NSLC opened my eyes to how good it could be.
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by bjcotton (Well, I'll darned, w...)
I'll 2nd the liver thing....nuh uh...no way!!!!
  Re: Re: Beet Leaves? by Bizymomma (I'll 2nd the liver t...)
The only way I can describe liver Tammy is phooey, spit, yuk, ugh, disgusting! Of course, some people like it

Dale my dear sis, you can fix it, but I won't promise to eat it, just like lamb, won't promise to eat that either.

I make the Large Lima beans fairly frequently here. In the south we called them Butter beans because when they're cooked they are very creamy textured. They are quick cooking too, only take a couple of hours, no presoaking needed.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy