Pancetta Biscuits
  Re: (...)
Last Sunday morn, sitting in the trailer, watched Giada's show (love her cooking!!!) and I have to tell you Roy was out the door before the show was over to get the ingredients for these biscuits!!! Sent the 'overage' to work with him the next morning and they were gone in 5 min.

Pancetta Biscuits
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Biscuits:
1/4 pound pancetta, diced (had to use smoked turkey & ham - remember, we're roughing it.)
1 (8-ounce) box store bought biscuit mix (just use the recipe amount on the back of the box)
Buttermilk (in place of the liquid in the boxed biscuit mix recipe)
1/4 cup shredded Fontina

Cinnamon-sugar butter:
1/2 vanilla bean
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 stick butter, at room temperature

To make the biscuits: In a saute pan, heat the pancetta over medium-high heat and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, make the biscuits according to the box instructions, using buttermilk instead of the suggested liquid. Gently stir in the pancetta and the cheese.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon the biscuit mixture onto the baking sheet and bake according to box instructions. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

To make the Cinnamon-sugar Butter: Cut open the vanilla bean lengthwise. Using the back of a knife, scrape along the inside of the vanilla bean to collect the seeds. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into a small bowl. Add sugar and cinnamon and stir to combine. Stir in the butter until well blended. Transfer to a serving bowl.

Serve the biscuits on a platter with the Cinnamon-sugar Butter alongside.
-----

What a nice treat for a Sunday morning - yes, we had champagne with them, not afternoon tea as she served them!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pancetta Biscuits by cjs (Last Sunday morn, si...)
Do you think that this would work with a tried and true buttermilk biscuit recipe?? We do not have the packaged mixes here but this sure does look GOOD!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pancetta Biscuits by Roxanne 21 (Do you think that th...)
Roxanne, here's Jean's recipe for the biscuit mix (didn't I tell you I'd known her for some time?):

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bisquick Master Mix

Recipe By :Jean
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
9 c. all purpose flour -- sifted
1 tbsp. salt
2 c. shortening -- that does not need r
1/3 c. double action baking powder
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 c. sugar

Sift together all dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until it is the size of corn meal. Store at room temperature in tightly covered container. Will keep for 6 weeks. Measure mix lightly into container. Use as directed for Bisquick recipe.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pancetta Biscuits by bjcotton (Roxanne, here's Jean...)
or your favorite willl work also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pancetta Biscuits by cjs (or your favorite wi...)
DIDN'T HAVE ONE 'TIL NOW!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Pancetta Biscuits by Roxanne 21 ( DIDN'T HAVE ONE 'T...)
I am ashamed to say I have a book, currently masked by thousands of others, written by two American ladies whose names I do not remember. It is all various dry mixes, in the 70s I think. The one above looks jolly good to me, and the scones themselves sound necessary to continued life. Thanks all.