Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos
  Re: (...)
SORRY GUYS----been incredibly busy getting DH ready for Valencia. Hope the recipe isn't too late--sounds yummy!!!
BTW----I am now doing the copy/paste thing from my word perfect program---WHAT A RELIEF!!!

FISH TACOS

Makes four servings
Total time: 30 minutes

Marinate in lime juice:
4 4oz. fresh tilapia fish fillets, halved
Blend; Coat fish in:
3 T. all purpose flour
3 T. yellow cornmeal
1 t. chili powder
1 t. kosher salt
¼ t. cayenne

Spray, the oven toast:
8 7” corn tortillas

Serve with:
3 cups napa cabbage, shredded
Mango-Avocado salsa and
Creamy chipotle sauce

Preheat oven to 500 degrees with racks on the top and bottom levels.
Marinate tilapia fillets in lime juice for 10 minutes, turning to coat. Place a baking sheet on each oven rack and preheat five minutes.
Blend flour, cornmeal and seasonings in a shallow dish. Coat marinated fish on both sides with flour mixture. Remove a hot pan from the oven and spray with nonstick spray. Place fillets on hot pan and roast on top rack for 5 minutes.
Spray both sides of tortillas with nonstick spray. (Meanwhile, carefully turn fish over and return to oven 3-4 minutes). Oven toast tortillas on the second heated baking sheet after turning the fillets over. Toast tortillas just until they’re lightly crisp around the edges, 2-3 minutes.

Serve fish and tortillas with shredded cabbage, mango salsa and chipotle sauce.

MANGO-AVOCADO SALSA

Makes about 3 cups
Total time: 15 minutes

Combine:
1 ripe yet firm mango, peeled, diced
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
½ cup cucumber, diced
¼ cup red onion, minced
1 T. jalapeno, seeded, minced
1 t. sugar
¼ t. kosher salt
¼ t. ground cumin
Juice of one lime

Before serving, stir in:
1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
2 T. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Combine mango, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, jalapeno, seasonings and lime juice in a large bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Before serving, stir in avocado and cilantro.

CREAMY CHIPOTLE SAUCE

Makes about ½ cup
Total time: 5 minutes

Stir together:
¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
¼ cup reduced calorie mayonnaise
2 t. sugar
1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
Juice of ½ lime

Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Let stand at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. (May be made several days ahead, keep chilled.)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by Roxanne 21 (SORRY GUYS----been i...)
OMG, you all!! Space challenged as I am, I wa 'just' going to pick one or two c de m dishes - but, how the devil am I going to choose? Fish tacos are one of my favorites, but not Roy's....hmmmmm, we shall see what we shall see. (this sounds so good!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by cjs (OMG, you all!! Space...)
I'm with you, Jean...how will I ever choose? I love fish tacos too (they remind me of Hawaii where I first had them), but I don't think Walt will be a huge fan. I could be wrong...he has been surprising me lately with his openness toward new foods. And my boys are spending the weekend with their father (a very rare occasion...don't get me started!), so it might just be the 2 of us. It just seems weird to cook for only 2 people, but I guess I'll have to get used to that in a few years. Yikes!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by TwilightKitten (I'm with you, Jean.....)
LOL TK. Maybe buy smaller pots. I had never thought of a fish taco, thank you.
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by TwilightKitten (I'm with you, Jean.....)
"It just seems weird to cook for only 2 people," - yes, been there, had those weekends! It's so hard to cook for two when you normally cook for a family.

Wait till they leave home for good and try to get used to cooking potatoes for two all the time!! I still, after all these years, have trouble with that one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by cjs ("It just seems weird...)
Yes, but it has it's good points too. Quiet, romantic settings, and you can afford ingredients you maybe couldn't touch if you had to buy for more. Much quicker clean-up. I love it when the kids are home, but I enjoy the table for two nites as well. Just my 2cents
Cynthia
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by farnfam (Yes, but it has it's...)
Your point about affording top ingreds is more than just valid Cynthia. Shane still likes a big fat sirloin, I like the first cut after the 'head' of the filet is cut off for roasting or whatever. We use the tail for stroganoff. Or stir fry. Or something. And I love those mini cauliflowers, just one serving size. It is kind of sad, but my big enamelled LCr casserole doesn't get much use these days. Just as well, I can't lift it (full) out of the oven anyway. My daughter can.
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by farnfam (Yes, but it has it's...)
How true, Cynthia. Now that you mention it, the thing I loved the most was Roy & I could just have a sandwich for dinner (or breakfast) if we wanted!! I was such a stickler for "5 plops" (so to speak) on the kid's plates - meat, starch, vege, fruit, salad!! We had a ball at first thinking up meals that we'd never had for dinner!

What I really missed was the noise - I think that's when I started always having to have the radio on, without music the house was like a tomb! Love them like hell, miss them, but sure enjoy our lifestyle now...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by cjs (How true, Cynthia. N...)
ROTFL Us, and our empty nests. Love them all witless, but don't miss the teenage years. Adored infancy and childhood though. One of the best things we did for our own sanity was purchase a 24in flat top/grill. I would make up about 50lbs hamburger patties ready in the freezer, for the frequent 'pit stops' of the hordes. We were never without lettuce, Onion,Cheese, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, beetroot, etc. I had a smaller freezer just for bread. Bananas by the crate, Sausages were preboiled in the huge pot, chips were purchased in 20kg bags. We got 2 at a time. Chippie butties went down well. With t/ sauce. We purchased a small commercial deep fryer. It helped enormously. We lived in the city at the time, and were first stop on the way home from school.

Ps. I nearly forgot the Watties Baked Beans. ;Þ
  Re: Cinco de Mayo----Fish Tacos by Roxanne 21 (SORRY GUYS----been i...)
Before Cinco de Mayo gets too far behind us, I wanted to give you all a link to an EXCELLENT site of Mexican Recipes. I just received today Mel's cookbook which I ordered also at the site. Check it out please, you won't be sorry. Totally authentic recipes and cool music too.
I'm very happy I found it, and Mel offers to personaly help if you have a problem.
http://melsmex.com/
Enjoy,
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life