chicken fingers
  Re: (...)
I have this absolute obsession with chicken fingers---GREAT chicken fingers, that is.

Over the past 14 years, I have attempted to make awesome chicken fingers. I just cannot get the batter right!!

HELP please.

I am trying to duplicate a recipe that I have had in the past---JOY OF THE WOK establishment is Sprinfield, MASS makes the perfect chicken finger---light, crispy and I devour!! Most recipes that I have tried are heavy and too floury. I'm sure that there is a great recipe out there---all my research has resulted in disappointment.

COME ON, Foodies---hit me!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: chicken fingers by Roxanne 21 ( I have this absolu...)
The closest I've come to making chicken fingers is the oven fried chix breasts I've done for years - but I did see one from Gourmet that's making me want to try them. I'm sure this is not what you're speaking of, Roxanne, as you didn't mention this type of coating nor were you talking of oven frying either....geez, why didn't I just bypass this whole thread ( ), but it sure looks good to me!
--------

OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN FINGERS

Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 45 min

2 1/2 lb skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
7 cups cornflakes (7 oz), coarsely crushed
Accompaniments: honey mustard sauce and homemade ketchup

Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 425°F. Butter 2 large shallow (1 inch deep) baking pans.

Gently pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap with flat side of a meat pounder or with a rolling pin until 1/3 inch thick. Cut chicken lengthwise into 1/2-inch-wide strips.

Stir together butter, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Put cornflakes in another shallow dish. Working with 1 strip at a time, dip in butter, then dredge in cornflakes, pressing flakes firmly to help adhere. Transfer as coated to baking pans.

Bake, switching position of pans halfway through baking, until chicken is golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes total.

Cool chicken in pans on racks to room temperature (crust will firm up as it cools).

Serves 12 children.(children heck!!)

Gourmet
Gourmet Entertains
January 2004
------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: chicken fingers by Roxanne 21 ( I have this absolu...)
I started using the recipe for the coconut shrimp in issue #35 to make chicken fingers. I have made them with and without the coconut. Either way, they turn out light, crispy, and delicious.
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by spyce (I started using the ...)
I have never made one, or seen one. Would chicken tenders work, or boned thighs cut in half. How about using tempura batter. I like the thighs better than any other part except the oysters. I don't particularly care for breast. Unless it is cut in pieces raw for a casserole. The thigh doesn't have the white look, but it sure is tender. Now I have to make chicken fingers. You really are a winsomely bad lot, you really are.
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by vannin (I have never made on...)
I'm with you, Ellen - chicken thighs rule!! And they'd work fine as 'fingers' - you know what else would work? Catfish - if you are as crazy about catfish as I am!! (Do you have Catfish down there?)Wink
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by cjs (I'm with you, Ellen ...)
I LOVE WHITE MEAT!!!!! There, I said it--

Now---the recipe I'm looking for is with chicken breast meat---NO subs allowed---SOOOOO-I will go with the suggestions you guys submitted.

BUT--that catfish sounds REALLY good-----where do I buy that???
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by Roxanne 21 (I LOVE WHITE MEAT!!!...)
I like the white meat too Roxanne. People whine about the white meat being dry....I just happen to like dry white meat! There I've said it too...Smile
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by bjcotton (I like the white mea...)
BUT---it is NOT dry if cooked properly!!! It's just a shorter amount of time with the correct temp----UMMM---I think I'll cook something for a nice salad!!!
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by Roxanne 21 (BUT---it is NOT dry ...)
No Jean, I have never seen catfish here. We mostly eat schnapper, terekihi, or flounder. Shellfish are principly mussells and scollops. Altho Shane has been known to down a few oysters. I love crayfish, but he does not. I would eat pipis but am too lazy to dig for them. Clams are seldom seen here, squid is very popular, and we can chuck bread in the water and net them out at Waikeri Bay. They are fairly big up there. So are the scollops if you can catch the hasty little b*ggers. Night fishing with a coat hanger and spot light can provide a good breadfast of flounder. Octopus is around there to, but usually too big, and who could kill a something with the intelligence of a cat anyway. The west coast pig islanders do well with crab, but it is lean pickings up here, one can buy them from the tank of course. I have never been brave enough. Packhorse is frequently sold as cray, and is very good eating as well. All the usuals, Dory, Kahwai, shark, (or lemonfish)tuna, pipers, hoki, and so on but we don't buy those.
  Re: Re: chicken fingers by bjcotton (I like the white mea...)
" People whine about the white meat being dry...." BillyJ, you know what 'one' of my nicknames is on another forum, Queen of Brining???? If you brine chix breasts (and cook them properly as Rox. mentions) you'll never have dry breasts.....don't go there....

but...I do think thighs have more flavor, and I also happen to love chix breasts!!
www.achefsjourney.com