Dinner Party - May 15th
  Re: (...)
Well, it's Tuesday already and no one has mentioned a menu -

a) we're all so polite, we wait for someone else to start? (right )
b) Mother's Day weekend, maybe we have favorites/traditions to uphold - maybe critique those??
c) Let's do it and keep to a simple week night menu.
d) Let's do something for Jean and just do hors d' oeuvre - she's needing ideas...
e) can't think of anything for e)....

After tonight I won't be cooking any dinner until next Monday nite (the 15th) because we will be in our old neck of the woods and we're eating with friends/family (and madmax ON MOTHER'S DAY!!!! ) from now until then...but, I have been allowed to bring hors d' oeuvre to the dinners, so I'm looking for new ideas...remember I'm in a trailer.

(I'll just drool over the menus you all come up with for this week again and do them later...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Party - May 15th by cjs (Well, it's Tuesday a...)
OKAY---funny girl!!! How on earth can most of us wanna-be-cooks give ideas to a PRO!!!! We count on you! You have become MY inspiration

I go for the vegetables and dip as well as CHICKEN FINGERS with a sweet and sour sauce and honey grilled shrimp skewers (in the oven or on stove top for trailer practicality)...very simple but tasty. Just have to try those chicken finger recipes that you all sent over---THANK YOU for those!!!

Enjoy your homecoming, Jean---won't it be great to be in your comfortable spaces again?? That trip seemed to fly by!!!! Give us some feed-back when you have time---TIME--that elusive component of life----

I want to nominate someone for the dinner party menu----because it's Mothers Day---the youngest member of our family that has the youngest (and TWO of them) children, I think that it would be nice for her to choose--if she desires and has the time---HELLO, ERIN!!!

Otherwise, I'm open for anything---need the distraction
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - May 15th by Roxanne 21 (OKAY---funny girl!!!...)
During my association with Jean and a variety of chefs, Roxanne, I have discovered that even us chickens can teach the pro's a trick or two...not often, but on occasion. Of course, I have learned a great deal from associating with them. I have found that very few are not willing to go out of their way to teach, make suggestions and demonstrate.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Dinner Party - May 15th by cjs (Well, it's Tuesday a...)
Shall we just skip this week??? It matters not to me since I'm already down a week... By the way, I'm hoping to get those tostadas and guac. fixed sometime this weekend!
(no softball!!! HOORAY!!!!)
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - May 15th by Bizymomma (Shall we just skip t...)
I'd have to skip this one. I'm away again this weekend, which means there will be no food in the house when I get home.

BJ's right. The Chef's I've met have had the utmost of patience with people like myself.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Thanks for thinking of me! I am sorry I haven't been able to participate in the dinners yet - I do read the menus and lookforward to hearing the results! It is just a crazy time for us. My husband Steve has been going on two week trips(just left again yesterday) so I have been mostly cooking kid favorites - quick and easy! Not to mention I think my range is going out. I was making the pork chop capriosa (??) last night and heard a zzzzt noise, smoke started coming out the back and a horible electical smell! I need to be creative now and see if th kids and I can survive on just using the grill, microwave and toaster oven for the next two weeks!

I won't be able to do this weeks dinner either. The kids and I are taking off to Ocean Shores this weekend to visit my mom for Mothers Day. Happy Mothers day to all you Mothers out there. I hope you do something special for your self and enjoy your day!

Erin
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - May 15th by Bizymomma (Shall we just skip t...)
Know how you feel Angela, it's like a holiday in itself. With us it was winter footy and summer cricket. My boys started when they were so small they still bobbed down to pick up the ball. And they played across the field, not down it. It was fun though, all those pink little puppies running around acummulating mud, and glory.
"How on earth can most of us wanna-be-cooks give ideas to a PRO!!!! " I think cooks as a whole are the one group who is the hungriest for new ideas from everyone - don't think I haven't picked up some really good ideas here...I'm still learning also...till the last dish is cooked, I'm learning!!

And, if it's not a new idea we pick up, something someone says tweeks a memory of a long ago dish...

"sweet and sour sauce and honey grilled shrimp skewers (in the oven or on stove top for trailer practicality)..."

now, doesn't that sound tasty...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Party - May 15th by bjcotton (During my associatio...)
Okay duly noted----and I totally agree with all of the sentiments expressed here. I have learned a great deal from everyone in the short time we have been together and THANK YOU ALL for that---

I have no problem with skipping this week---it would have been fun BUT being alone not as much fun. Besides, Mothers should be out of the kitchen for a day--or at least a couple of hours. I'll wait for our next suggestions patiently.

HAVE A GREAT MOM'S DAY EVERYONE-----this goes for our guy contributors, as well
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy