Shrimp Seviche Question
  Re: (...)
I'm getting ready for my late Cinco de Mayo dinner, and I don't see directions for poaching the shrimp. It says to poach the shrimp but for how long? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Tammy
  Re: Shrimp Seviche Question by TwilightKitten (I'm getting ready fo...)
Until they go pink Tammy, if you are preparing green prawns. If they are precooked just warm them thru.
  Re: Shrimp Seviche Question by TwilightKitten (I'm getting ready fo...)
"d then poach for @half hour" -oh please Tammy!! Don't do that! I'm sorry to contradict, but shrimp only take 2-3 min. to poach - you will have shoe leather at a half hour!!

When they just turn a nice pink - get them off and if you're using them in a cold dish, put them in ice water to stop the cooking. If in a hot dish - get them in quick and serve!! (can't imagine poaching and then adding to a hot dish tho.)

What will you poach them in? I love a bottle/can of beer with garlic, and little butter added.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Shrimp Seviche Question by cjs ("d then poach for @h...)
Thanks, everybody! I ended up simmering/boiling them for about a minute, and they turned out fine. I'll post my review later...I'm beat!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Shrimp Seviche Question by TwilightKitten (Thanks, everybody! [...)
I personally do not care to see shrimp/prawn heads. I can do it, and do. But really.... If you want to keep the shells on, and remove the vein, bend the prawn more tight, this will separate the layers of shell, and enable you to slip in a fine instrument, like the head of a darning needle between the shell plates and hook/ease out the vein. A crochet hook is good too. It is no mess, and your guest will need less relief from the finger bowl. It is fun to peel ones own prawns, I just hate the residual smell. So if you want to have a barbaric feed from the paper they came from, use paper, or change linen. I am for paper myself, and a break for handwashing. Or hot lemon flannels. I love a barberous nosh up, it's fun, But I would only do it in Australia, or served by an Oz Here.

Our finger bowls when we descend in cave man style, usually consist of a 2 litre ice cream container for us all. Set in the midst of our feast. Really elegant. ;Þ