Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19
  Re: (...)
This is one of the best articles/recipes Cuisine ever did. We are making it as I post, and freezing some of the bolognese for future use. It is in the Jan/Feb isssue of 2000, on page 15. Just giving the recipe does not do it justice--can anyone with that issue "image" the article and post it. Best sauce I ever ate.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by Old Bay (This is one of the b...)
I sure hope someone can!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by Lorraine (I sure hope someone ...)
Billy found a recipe on line in volume 43. I'm almost sure they repeated the one we got out of vol. 19. I'll check it when I get home, but the recipe looks identical. I don't think they repeated the illustrations--you can get by without them.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by Old Bay (Billy found a recipe...)
Here's the recipe from Issue 43.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lasagna with Bolognese Sauce

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Ricotta Filling - Blend
2 15 oz containers whole milk ricotta cheese
Add
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Bolognese Sauce--Saute in
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup yellow onions -- diced
1 cup carrots -- diced
1/2 cup fennel -- diced
Add
2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
Stir In
3/4 pound ground chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
3 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning blend
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Add and Simmer
1 1/2 cups whole milk
Add and Simmer
1 cup dry red wine
Stir In and Simmer
4 pounds tomatoes -- quartered
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 bay leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
Prepare; Assemble Lasagna with
2 bunches Swiss chard, stemmed, blanched, and dried
1 pound oven-ready lasagne sheets -- parboiled
1 recipe Ricotta filling
1 recipe Bolognese Sauce
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese -- shredded
2 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese -- grated

For the Ricotta Filling--Blend ricotta in a food processor until very smooth, about 2 minutes; scrape down sides. Add remaining ingredients; blend 1 minute.

For the Bolognese Sauce--Sauté onion, carrots, celery, and fennel in oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft, 10--15 minutes.

Add garlic; sauté another minute.

Stir in ground meats and seasonings; cook until meat is no longer pink, 8--10 minutes.

Add milk; simmer until liquid almost evaporates, 25--30 minutes.

Add wine and simmer until almost evaporated, about 20 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes, paste, and seasonings; reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until sauce is very thick, 3--4 hours. Stir often to prevent it from sticking or burning. Bring to room temperature before assembling lasagna.

To Assemble the Lasagna -

Prepare chard leaves, blanching in boiling water until wilted.

Parboil lasagna sheets just until pliable; transfer to foil-lined baking sheet that's been coated with nonstick spray. Store sheets in single layers separated by pieces of foil.

Set aside 3 cups Bolognese for serving, then spread 1/2 cup on bottom of pan, then layers of pasta and ricotta filling. Top with a layer of chard. Spread 3/4 cup Bolognese on the chard-it won't totally cover. Sprinkle with cheese; repeat layering, beginning with pasta. Spread remaining ricotta over the last layer of pasta and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.

Bake 40--45 minutes. Rest 15 minutes; cut, using the tip of a sharp, thin knife. Serve with some of the reserved sauce and more Parmesan cheese.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome"
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by bjcotton (Here's the recipe fr...)
4 pounds tomatoes...ouch

Bill, did you use fresh, or can I substitute a good quality Italian canned?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by Lorraine (4 pounds tomatoes......)
I am not answering Lorraine, but perhaps good qual. canned can be even better than fresh sometimes. Depending on season of course.
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by vannin (I am not answering L...)
O.K., now I'm confused - the 8-layer lasagna I made out of issue 43 (for our dinner menu, the first one, wasn't it?)is the 'streamlined' version and it's different from what BillyJ posted as being from issue 43.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by cjs (O.K., now I'm confus...)
Glad that I'm not the only one confused!!! I haven't had the time to go back and review the recipes but something didn't sound right. HMMMM---now I've gotta check.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by Roxanne 21 (Glad that I'm not th...)
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lasagna, lasagna everywhere I just checked, the 8 layer is on page 24 and the with Bolognese is on page 25. They are definitely two different recipes with different ingredients.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lasagna/ Bolognese Sauce- Vol 19 by bjcotton ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
UHHH---Billy----the bolognese is in issue 19--with a couple of others that look really interesting and a must try!! Don't know how I missed those

The 8 layer was issue 43--our on line dinner party.

We forgive you--you didn't have access to the issues so that's about as good a reason as you can get!!!

It's a wonderful experience to go back and review passed over recipes---BTW the minestrone soup in that issue was REALLY good!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy