Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce
  Re: (...)
My Bourguignonne chuck is marinading, but I wanted to try something new last nite, so made these little goodies. Posting recipe for those who don't have the issue yet... These are very tastey little morsels and would sure be good to start of a BBQ - munching on these while you grill.

Asian Chicken Skewers with Plum BBQ Sauce

(Issue 57, June '06, pg. 11)
10 skewers

1/3 cup plum jam
3 T. soy sauce
3 T. rice vinegar
2 T. purchased BBQ sauce
1/4 tsp. pepper flakes
8 oz. boneless -- skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" chunks
1/2 cup onions -- chopped
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 tsp. kosher salt and paprika
1 egg white
1 T. olive oil
10 pieces red bell pepper and fresh pineapple -- 1" cubes
2 T. scallions -- thinly sliced

Simmer first 5 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until thick, 7-8 minutes; keep warm.

Pulse chicken, onions, panko, cilantro, seasonings, and egg white together in a food processor until thoroughly combined.

Shape mixture into ten patties (2 T. each).

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet (I used a cast iron) over medium. Brown patties 3-4 minutes (will take a little longer) on each side, or until cooked through; transfer to a plate.

Sauté bell pepper and pineapple about 1 minute to warm through.

Skewer components, drizzle with sauce, and garnish with scallions.

Note: the pictures show plating with a small pool of plum sauce, lay a pattie on the pool, top with slice of red bell and a slice of the pineapple; skewer with a long pick and drizzle little more sauce over all.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce by cjs ( My Bourguignonne ch...)
mmmmm slurp!
my goodness Jean that sounds sooo good, I am cooking a lot of stirr frys and the like trying to lower the ole cholesterol

Re: Re: Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce by lov2cook (mmmmm slurp! [br]my ...)
Hey there Maria!! How good to see you here - welcome. Folks, if you want any ideas on wonderful Puerto Rican dishes, this little gal is the one to come to!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce by cjs (Hey there Maria!! Ho...)
I'm going to look into this recipe.

Just this last weekend I took the asian lime spare rib recipe and that was good, but i had to use baby back ribs because I couldn't find spare ribs. So then I got the bright idea to use the rib recipe to make chicken skewers cuz ribs are just too expensive for a bunch of people.

Turned out great, and I'll be making them for the July 4th party.
  Re: Re: Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce by Maude (I'm going to look in...)
Isn't it crazy, we used to buy shanks and ribs from the dog food bin, and eat them ourselves. They were all nicely packed and as good and clean as anything at the counters. Then they got fashionable. Wooheee.. The prices shot up unbelievable, same thing, same packaging, from 25c to $6. Gravy beef was only ever cat food, then they called it stewing steak, doubled the price. Sells well. A very good meat. We used to buy a lot of tongue for the rest home, they loved it and it was so easy to eat for them. The price of tongue shot up like a rocket within six months, we still bought it, but felt the pain. Apparently tongue had become popular. They liked tripe and onions too, so we had to cook it. Blah. The funny thing was I gave them eye fillet steak once, just once, They wouldn't eat it. What a waste.
  Re: Re: Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce by vannin (Isn't it crazy, we u...)
Love this recipe, Jean!!! I've printed it, to take with me on holidays. Only problem is, I'm gone for 5 days, and I'm up to about 25 recipes.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Asian Chicken Skewers w/Plum BBQ Sauce by Lorraine (Love this recipe, Je...)
...and then you'll find more new ones in the city where you land...happens to me too!
www.achefsjourney.com