Dinner #6 Critique
  Re: (...)
In previous dishes of Beef Bourguignon I've prepared, I've only let the beef marinate in the wine mixture for ~2 hours. As suggested in this recipe, I let the meat marinate for 4+ hours. By doing this, IMO, the meat took on too much of the wine taste. The dish was still quite good, but the wine was the prevalent taste by far. Would I make this dish again? Yes, but with a much shorter marinating time. On a scale of 1-10, I would give this particular recipe a 6.5 or a 7.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Dinner #6 Critique by bjcotton (In previous dishes o...)
Billy, I felt exactly the same way! I let mine marinate overnight, and it was way too long! It would have been wonderful otherwise.
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner #6 Critique by TwilightKitten (Billy, I felt exactl...)
Usually, Tammy, when I make this dish, I do most of it, like browning the meat, sweating the veggies, etc., in a 12" skillet before adding things to the Dutch Oven. It seems to make the recipe go smoother. I've also just added the wine to the dish instead of marinating it. You still get the flavor without it being so prevalent. It is hard to get quite a few things in this small town (such as the pearl onions), so I frequently have to make do. I went to three stores before I found any that were usable and they were frozen. I feel for Roxanne having to find things in South Africa.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner #6 Critique by TwilightKitten (Billy, I felt exactl...)
Okay, I LOVED this dish!!! Due to the lack, MAJOR lack, of time, I was only able to let my beef and veggies marinate for 30 minutes in the red wine. I had read earlier in the day that Billy and Tammy thought there was too much marinating time, so hoped for the best with my short marinating time. It still turned out great! I used a cabernet to marinate in and served with a cabernet/merlot mix. I was unable to find a soup bone so I omitted...however, I did put in a TBSP. of beef base just to vamp up the richness. Other than that, I followed the recipe to the "T"....even the brandy! The meat was tender and flavorful. It was filling and satisfying. I did serve the buttered potatoes along with. I will definitely fix this dish again! I give it a 10... My 12 yr. old son gave it a 9 3/4....only cause it had onions in it!! LOL
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Dinner #6 Critique by Bizymomma (Okay, I LOVED this d...)
Excellent Angela. My butcher didn't have a soup bone either, and because of the additional veggies, I added beef consommé for more liquid. If the day ever arrives where I prepare a recipe to the letter, I'll be sure and let y'all know.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner #6 Critique by bjcotton (Excellent Angela. M...)
We absolutely loved this dish! Personally, the first time I try a recipe, I stick as close as possible to the author's version (unless something is really glaring) - so I can give it a truer testing. Did this one as written - used a Syrah for the marinade and marinated it overnite. Glad I did, loved the flavor and with all the other ingredients, did not find the marinade too overpowering at all.

I had some Polenta in the freezer, so served with that and it was delicious. Would make this again - as is - in a heartbeat.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com