Cookware
  Re: (...)
I am looking to purchase a new set of cookware, switching from my Caphalon non-stick to a stainless variety. I have looked at Caphalon's stainless, Cuisinart's brand and Wolfgang Puck's brand. Can anyone give me some things to consider when making this type of purchase and also share your experience with the cleaning and cooking of stainless cookware.

Thanks all
  Re: Cookware by wheatleyp1 (I am looking to purc...)
May I recommend you sign up with Eopinion.com and that you NOT buy your cookware by the set. It is better to buy only the pieces that you want. I haven't as yet bought all the pieces I want, but when you buy a set you get pieces you don't usually want or use. On Eopinion, Amazon, or Ebay you can buy pieces at lesser prices than you can other places. Learning to cook with stainless is a whole nuther issue
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Cookware by wheatleyp1 (I am looking to purc...)
I don't have any myself (yet!) but Cook's Illustrated recommends All-Clad. I think that's going to be my next cookware...although I will say that I LOVE my Sitram Cybernox. It's a non-stick stainless steel but it doesn't look non-stick. It's beautiful, and I love it! I bought one pan and recommended it to my brother who bought the whole set. He loves it, and I haven't been able to find a set for myself! Hmmph! Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject...
Tammy
  Re: Re: Cookware by TwilightKitten (I don't have any mys...)
I have AllClad for home use, certain pieces - well, lots of pieces, but I chose them individually. I also have cast iron, a couple of the dreaded non-stick little skillets (love them for frying eggs) that I won't forsake, and then those pots from family that are the absolutely only pan you can use for 'overcooked green beans', the perfect pan for rabbit and dumplings, you know those pans!!

What I like the best about SST, at least my AllClad, is the ease of cleaning and the wonderful crust you can achieve on almost everything. Plus, we're all trying to wean ourselves away from non-stick, aren't we??

I think any heavy gauge SST pans/skillets will do a wonderful job for you - go slowly, you may find you like the feel of a pan from one brand and maybe a pan from another.

All of the above must sound very wish-washy, but to me pots/pans are like buying cutlery - you want the one that will do the job that you want it for.

P.S. the best advice I would pass on to you for cooking with SST, is keep an eye on your heat - you don't want to have too high a heat for things like sauteeing. And let the product tell you when it ready to be moved in the pan or turned over. One of the hardest things to do is leave food alone when it's frying. As it forms its crust it will release itself from the pan with very little resistance and the crust will stay with the product and not on the bottom of the pan. Staying with the heat temp. recommended by your cookware instructions will also make it easier.

Be sure to let us know what you eventually purchase and how you like it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookware by cjs (I have AllClad for h...)
Anyone ever hear of Lifetime cookware? It's SST I think with vapor lock covers. I have a few pieces, I like them for speed cooking (really frozen to done in 10-15 min) but I haven't got the knack of frying in them. Use grandma's cast irons for that. Of course can't beat the non-sticks for eggs
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cookware by farnfam (Anyone ever hear of ...)
Do you bake your cornbread in cast iron Cynthia? Absolutely the best thing for it.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cookware by bjcotton (Do you bake your cor...)
Yes Billyj, tho' we don't have cornbread very often, I agree cast iron makes it better.

And thanks cj, I'll try that with the SST. If I remember right, that's just what the manfctr. said too. Patience is a problem for those who were raised by wolves
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cookware by farnfam (Yes Billyj, tho' we ...)
big sigh....just don't know what to do with you wolverines....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookware by cjs (big sigh....just don...)
Will heavy aluminum cookware do the same thing Jean? Release the food like SS?

Billy
  Re: Re: Cookware by cjs (I have AllClad for h...)
I have a set of Dansk SST cookware---every conceivable piece they manufactured MANY years ago---has all of the qualities that the newer more trendy "names" have and was bought at an outlet in Massachusetts when I was recently divorced and had NO MONEY!!! This was the BEST investment I ever made in cookware. I don't know if it is still available BUT---last year I purchased a set of the Cuisinart cookware for my step-daughter---she raves about it. She also has a very close friend who happens to be a professional chef in Chicago who uses this range with no complaints. It's a matter of personal feel and how it fits with your hand and the way you cook.

There are several options available in the Chef's catalog---and they have some awesome sales/discounts at certain times of the year. If you have the time, I would suggest going to a cookware outlet, touching and getting a feel for the heft and then go to the websites for deals. You won't be sorry!!

I love stainless steel--I have great results, cleaning and care is wonderful!! I also use cast iron for certain HIGH HEAT items but most of my everyday menus are with the SST.

Please let us know what your choice is and why--will be interesting for the less experienced among us--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy