Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!!
  Re: (...)
I love ribs - one of the most delicious summertime treats imo. And there is almost nothing I like more than hearing about new ideas for fixing them. I mentioned one way in my b'day menu, but how do you all prefer them? Here's a couple to get us started...(I hope this thread goes for pages and pages... )

This first recipe was in B.A. last summer and Sharon (Harborwitch) and I have really had fun with it!! Be sure to at least think about playing with the 'goop' - it is so good!!!

BROWN SUGAR & BOURBON RIBS
Bon Appetit, July '05
Serving Size : 4
BASTING SAUCE:
1/2 c packed golden brown sugar
1/2 c apple butter
1/4 c bourbon whiskey
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
3 T. apple cider
2 T. Dijon mustard
RIBS:
1 T. coarse kosher salt
1 T. packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps dry mustard
1 1/2 tsps dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 2-2 1/4 lb. racks baby back pork ribs
---------
1 lg onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
1 1/4 c apple cider

FOR BASTING SAUCE:
Whisk all ingred. in medium bowl to blend.

FOR RIBS:
Mix first 7 ingred. in small bowl.
Using small sharp knife, loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack & pull off (or score membrane).
Rub 1 T. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack.
Place ribs in large roasting pan.
Cover & chill at least 6 hours and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 325° F.
Lift ribs from pan.
Scatter onion, cinnamon stick, & ginger in pan.
Pour in Cider.
Return ribs, meat side down, to pan; cover pan with foil.
Roast ribs till meat is tender and begins to pull away from bones, about 2 hours.
Uncover; cool at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (I left longer before using)

Prepare barbecue (med-high heat).
Grill ribs, till heated thru and slightly charred, about 5 min. per side.
Brush generously on all sides with basting sauce.
Grill till sauce becomes sticky glaze, about 3 min. longer per side.
Transfer rib racks to cutting board.
Cut racks tween bones into individual ribs.
Arrange on platter and serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

(After the first time of cooking these, we started playing with the recipe)
O.K. - I could not stand to throw the wonderful 'goop' in the bottom of the roasting pan away, so -
I strained the juice and added enuf more cider to make 2 cups. Reduce to ~ 1/2 cup to a nice syrupy sauce.
Pick the cinnamon stick pcs. and ginger pcs. out of the onion and saute the onions till just starting to caramelize.
I served the ribs with no more basting sauce, but topped with the onions and drizzled the reduction over all.
IT IS WONDERFUL!!

Harborwitch
Sat Nov 05 2005 - Okay! When we make the ribs we make about 4 or 5 times the rub recipe. It comes in so handy! Last week we adapted the recipe to do a couple of pork chops.

Tonight Bob did the rub on a great big pork butt roast, then we did the same stuff for the baking the ribs under a rack with the butt roast on top with foil tented. We added the bourbon and the apple butter to the pan juices after they were reduced. OMG!!!!!!! Served the whole thing with mashed Yukon golds, broccoli in cheese sauce and biscuits. It was an amazing dinner. Jean the variations on this theme are amazing!

Description:
"Be sure to remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs so that the seasonings can penetrate & fully flavor the meat."

----------

HONEY-BBQ RIBS

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey
Serving Size : 8

Ribs & Rub:
2 lbs. pork babyback ribs
Salt, white pepper, and garlic powder
Sauce:
1 pouch Onion Soup mix
3/4 c ketchup
3/4 c water
1/3 c honey
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder

FOR RIBS:
Mix salt -- pepper, garlic powder in small bowl.
Using small sharp knife -- loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack & pull off (or score membrane).
Rub about 1 T. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack.

SAUCE:
In 1-qt. pan, combine sauce ingredients & bring to a boil; reduce heat to low; cook 5 min., stirring occasionally.

TO BAKE:
Preheat oven to 300°.
Put ribs on oiled sheet, bone-side down. Fill bottom of pan with water & cover ribs tightly w/foil. Put ribs in oven.
Bake ribs 2 1/2 hours or till ribs are tender when pierced w/a knife. If bottom of pan dries out during cooking, add more water. Discard foil & brush ribs w/sauce. Continue baking ribs for 30 min. longer.
(At this time I chilled and kept for service.)

Preheat the grill on med-high heat. Remove ribs from oven (or frig.) & brush both sides w/sauce. Grill 3-5 min. per side, basting with sauce.
Transfer ribs to a board and let rest 5 min. Cut each rack into 2 sections and serve...with lots of napkins!!

Description:
"This sauce is wonderful if you ever roast a whole pig also!!!"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by cjs (I love ribs - one of...)
Thanks, Jean. We just bought rib racks for the BBQ.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. We ju...)
I'm still trying to make the first one you posted---PLEASE don't make my life more difficult than it is already ____PLEASE!!!! copied and printed--AGAIN!!!

I'm hoping to make the first one tomorrow---depends on hubby's health RE: Taste buds!!! Thanx Jean---hope you are resting!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by cjs (I love ribs - one of...)
Hey Lady! Bob is "skinning" ribs right now for the brown sugar bourbon ribs. Gads we love those things!!! Bob won't cook ribs any other way!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by Harborwitch (Hey Lady! Bob is "s...)
Forgive me if it is non u to bring this post to the top again. But I worry if anyone visiting may have missed it. And it is very definately not to be missed.
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by vannin (Forgive me if it is ...)
I'm just surprised with all the great cooks around here, there are not more 'favorite' ways for ribs....'course that's also 'cause I just love them and playing with them.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by cjs (I'm just surprised w...)
Well, I do have a great one for beef ribs that I'll dig up.
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by Lorraine (Well, I do have a gr...)
Question: Should I get some rib racks? My BBQ has a two-level rack system and a rotissorie (it's still in the box..the rotator thingy that is).
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by bjcotton (Question: Should I ...)
How many burners do you have, Billy?

And, edited to add that I bought the racks last weekend, and haven't tried them out yet.
  Re: Re: Summertime = Grilled Ribs!!! by cjs (I'm just surprised w...)
I love ribs too but have only started making them myself a couple of years ago. I have always baked them at 300 degrees for a couple of hours and browned them on the grill. Last year, however, I watched some BBQ shows on the Food Network and decided we needed some smoke in those suckers. So, last summer we experimented with that...the results were good but not yet what I want them to be. We'll be doing some more experimenting soon, and I'll post the results. We used spareribs last year, but I really think I like baby back better.

Oh, I forgot I did used to make these ribs from Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes...they were called, uh, Hansel and Gretel Spare Ribs (from Rhyme Stew). I know, we're sick puppies.
Tammy