Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit
  Re: (...)
Vol 48, Dec./04
We did this for my kids this weekend---fantistic!!! It uses puff pastry--this is the filling---
2 T unsalted butter
1 cup frozen hash browns (cubed)
1 cup red/green/orange bells diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup smoked ham, diced
11 eggs
2 T minced chives
4 oz creamed cheese, softened
2 T orange juice
1 egg
1 T water
2 T parmesan cheese shredded
Melt butter in skillet, saute potatoes 5 min. Add peppers and onions-3 min--add ham. Whisk eggs and chives - add to pan and scramble until just set. Off heat stir inn cream cheese and juice--ref while working with pastry-- roll puff pastry into 12X10 sheet- cut as to lattice--the book is really helpful here-sorry-do the best you can. Fill w/ half the egg mixture--repeat with the other sheet and rest of the eggs--brush tops with an egg/water mix, sprinkle with cheese and bake at 400 20-30 min until golden. Cool 5 min before slicing. Makes 2 strudels--45 min.
3 Rio Red Grapefruit, halved
6 T brown sugar
6 t sweetened flaked coconuts

Top each grapefruit half with 1 T sugar and 1 t coconut and place on baking sheet.Broil 3 min until coconut is browned.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit by Old Bay (Vol 48, Dec./04[br]W...)
Oh my, does that ever sound like a keeper!!! I love broiled/grilled fruit - there's just nothing like it, is there?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit by Old Bay (Vol 48, Dec./04[br]W...)
I've been wanting to try this recipe. How do you think it would travel? I have a going away party/brunch to go to soon and I was thinking about making this.
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit by cjs (Oh my, does that eve...)
I used to do a grilled grapefruit one that had port splashed over it. "grin" Great sounding recipe!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit by mlucas1 (I've been wanting to...)
I think it would travel very well.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit by Old Bay (I think it would tra...)
I made this recipe a few weeks ago and loved it. I think it needed more spice though, if I add it again I would add a variety of peppers and chorizo instead of ham.
  Re: Re: Breakfast Strudel & Broiled Grapefruit by Maude (I made this recipe a...)
I bumped this back up--great time of the year for it.