Broiler
  Re: (...)
It's starting to seem to me like I need one. We have a converted 100yr old gas/woodstove for cooking. It doesn't have a broiler. Any suggestions?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Broiler by farnfam (It's starting to see...)
No suggestions, but I will be interested in the answers. I have an old GE 36" electric range and none of the settings work worth a darned and can't set the racks a good distance from the broiler.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Think it depends on what you miss using a broiler for. What items are you thinking you'd want a broiler for?

I'm asking this 'cause I have a broiler with my oven(s) and I'll bet I don't use it once a year. The only thing I can think of to use it for, this minute, is maybe garlic bread, but if I want garlic bread toasted (not often, really), I'd just grab my flame thrower (creme brulee torch). I can't think of anything that I couldn't brown with that little goodie. ....and look how much cheaper!!

I'll be interested, along with BillyJ, what others have to say on the subject.

Oh, just thot of something - maybe some folks 'cook' with the broiler??? like meat? I never do that, so...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
We put in a GE double wall oven when we built our new house. Typical broiler use for us is say after Buffalo wings are done we stick them under the broiler to crisp the skin--we love cheese toast--and that broiled grapefruit I just did. Don't use it a lot but it does come in handy. Now a salamander would be fun but as Jane pointed out during our construction we would have to build a firewall around it.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Broiler by Old Bay (We put in a GE doubl...)
On occasion I use the broiler for steaks/pork chops. The way the racks are situated the steaks are either about 1 inch from the burners or 6 inches from the broiler. I usually stack things under the broiler pan to get the appropriate height/distance.

But, Lorraine is after me to use the gas bbq I have sitting in the garage for something besides stacking things on..I don't know what other people use theirs for, but.....
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Broiler by bjcotton (On occasion I use th...)
We have one at the top of our electric stove and one under our hotplate. I very seldom use either now, but used the hotplate every day when the kids were here. And used the 'broiler' for the loaves of toast needed then. I think I am talking the same language as you, it is the flat top I loaded sausages, bacon, tomatoes, hash browns, eggs, mushrooms, bubble and squeak, all that sort of stuff on, and the grill is underneath, to do 8 slices of toast. I suppose it is what Jean said, depends on what you wish to use it for. I never flipped the eggs I just put a lid over them.
  Re: Re: Broiler by vannin (We have one at the t...)
Well the broiled grapefruit was one thing I thought I'd miss out on. And my omlettes never flip right so maybe to finish them there. But maybe the little flame thrower thingy would work, I hadn't thought of that, would that work for the grapefruit. I haven't missed having one in over 20yrs now, just recently seems recipes have called for one. We have a gas BBQ, but the flame is on the bottom so that's not what you mean right Billyj?
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Broiler by farnfam (Well the broiled gra...)
Why not get one anyway Cynthia, if you want one. Why not? With omlettes, mine tend to go a bit fluffy anyway, so I just tip it half on the plate and use the pan to fold it in half and it finishes off the middle quite satisfactorily. Even filled. That is after lifting with a fork and letting egg go underneath. I don't stir it as I see people doing on Tv. The result may be classic but always looks too anaemic for me. I like a bit of browning, and rubbly goo in the middle. And I do put cheese all over, but other filling like tomato, (skinned) or steamed asparagus I only put on the half that first lands on the plate. Please don't growl at me Jean....
  Re: Re: Broiler by vannin (Why not get one anyw...)
Thanks Dale, for the omelette lesson. I've tried sliding it on to the plate and then flipping with no luck. I shall try the new method and let you know. As for the broiler dilema, I'd hate to give up the counter space for what may be a very occasional use type item. Curious about the broiled grapefruit tho'.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Broiler by farnfam (Thanks Dale, for the...)
I do all my fruit on the grill. For grapefruit, try putting cut side down on the grill, give a 1/4 turn (for the marking)and when nicely marked, turn over and sprinkle with sugar (brown or white), buttered crumbs, or whatever you want to top with and close the lid for a little.

The omelet problem? I'm not sure why you want to flip an omelet, or are you (can't remember who mentioned omelets, sorry ), thinking of frittatas?? But those brown in the oven as they're cooking, so guess not.

Cis, if you have room, why not go for one of the counter broiler things. Maybe store it in a handy place when not needed? I've looked at those in stores and they sure have come a long way since the early toaster/broilers. It may be just the thing for you.

In a perfect world, we'd all have salamanders in our kitchens- I'm with you there, Bill!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com