Fire Roasted Corn Salad
  Re: (...)
I fixed Jean's Fire Roasted Corn Salad on Friday night! It was very tasty! I served it along with grilled hamburgers and baked beans. I loved the sweetness of the corn against the tartess of the limes. I finished the rest of it off for breakfast this morning! LOL I haven't been able to fix the ribs yet, but I will. Joel brought home some smoked ribs on Saturday night. We had a ball tournament that day and one of the teams was smoking ribs as a fund raiser. Anywayz.....the corn salad is def. a keeper . I'll fix this for the next teacher luncheon!

Happy Birthday girls! Almost forgot!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by Bizymomma (I fixed Jean's Fire ...)
Are we going to critque our Birthday Dinner Menu?? Hope this isn't in a wrong spot. We loved the corn salad too and believe it or not we whipped up a version of the sticky coating and did it on pork chops, cuz that's what was handy. It was very tasty yum. We toasted Jean a very happy birthday and had lemon sherbet for dessert.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by farnfam (Are we going to crit...)
The ribs were awesome, although I'll double the sauce next time. Oh, they were so tender! The corn salad was delicious too! Justin probably loved it more than anyone else...he's looking forward to it for breakfast and after-school snack. I loved it too but next time I'll leave out the feta...well, I'll serve it on the side anyway. Justin won't let me leave it out completely...he LOVES feta!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by TwilightKitten (The ribs were awesom...)
I'm so glad some of you tried my b'day dinner and liked it!! I didn't want to be the one to critique a menu that was already one of my favorites...

For those of you who like corn salads, here's one a neighbor made for my b'day dinner last years and is it ever a winner!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

SWEET CORN COBLETS - NONIE

6 med. ears corn -- cut into 3/4" thick rounds
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 T. sugar -- (2 to 3)
1 jar chopped pimentos -- (2 oz.) drained
1 tsp each: mustard seeds and crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

In a 6-8 qt. pan, bring 4 qts. water to a boil over high heat.
Add corn; cover and cook till hot (2-3 minutes).
Drain & arrange in a 9X13" dish or rimmed serving platter.

In the same pan, combine vinegar, onion, sugar, pimentos, mustard seeds, red pepper, and salt.
Bring to a boil over high heat and cook till sugar is dissolved.
Pour over corn; let stand till cool, spooning mixture over corn frequently.
If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
Serve at room temp. 8-10 servings (no, I think about 4-6, these little devils are addictive!)

I was lucky enuf to drag my birthday out for over a week and this was the best new dish I was treated to by a neighbor who made a wonderful birthday dinner for me.

Description:
"Noni Parker, friend and neighbor and great cook!"
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by Bizymomma (I fixed Jean's Fire ...)
I made the corn salad also!!! Yum!!! Two of us loved it, the 3rd wouldn't touch it, but then, he hates feta, cilantro, and cumin. Silly man!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by Lorraine (I made the corn sala...)
just no accounting for taste, is there Lorraine?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by cjs (I'm so glad some of ...)
Ok, now I'll tell you this...I almost didn't do the ribs because we were just down in Alabama where we had ribs from two different BBQ places two days in a row. Surprisingly all the guys were up for more...the ribs turned out way more tender than any of the ones we had down there, and the sauce was tastier!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by TwilightKitten (Ok, now I'll tell yo...)
The butcher had NO babyback ribs...silly man...so I haven't prepared it yet. The coblets I've had a couple of times..oh yum! I have to admit that the 800 lb gorilla wasn't home and my sis is allergic to corn, so I was FORCED to eat them all by myself
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by bjcotton (The butcher had NO b...)
When the corn season is on we just normally boil them, and eat with far too much butter and salt. Very pedestrian but always yummy. Next summer we will do them this way, eh Billy. Thanks Jean. The ribs are on my favourites. It is also a must do, when I finally go to the kitchen. And together they would be stunning, and very different for this part of the world. I find it odd that Chinese, Japanese Thai etc etc has travelled here so readily, but this type of American cooking has not. The US is part of the Pacific Rim.
  Re: Re: Fire Roasted Corn Salad by vannin (When the corn season...)
Just a suggestion, but cutting corn can be really quite hard. A pumpkin cutter does the trick very well indeed, as it does for a big solid cabbage, or similarly robust veg.