Schlow Burger
  Re: (...)
Made the Schlow Buger the other night for my wife and I and WOW, it turned out great!! The question is the recipe said cook to rare or medium rare, cook longer if desired (I desired) I thought ground beef had to be 150* to 165* to be safe?
  Re: Schlow Burger by RWL1948 (Made the Schlow Buge...)
Hi there and welcome to c@h - I've been drooling over those burgers myself for days...they look delicious.

What a pain this whole cook burgers to 160 F. I love my burgers cooked a little more than rare, but not to med. rare. The most common thinking on this - and it must be decided by everyone for themselves! - is, if you have a reliable butcher and can trust the ground beef or any of his products you buy, rare won't hurt you. BUT, you must decided this yourself.

Personally, I probably would not order a rare burger from a 'burger joint' type place-better to be safe.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Schlow Burger by cjs (Hi there and welcome...)
I'm with Jean. I grind my own beef, and cook to a bit less than medium rare.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Welcome, Rick! Thanks for the review...that is a good looking burger! As far as the temperature of the meat goes, to be on the safe side I would cook it well-done if feeding it to children as they are the most at risk of severe illness from e coli. My brother and step-dad like to tease me about how I won't let my kids eat a pink burger...but better safe than sorry!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Schlow Burger by TwilightKitten (Welcome, Rick! Thank...)
Hi Rick and Welcome
We love all our meat not very much cooked except a nice seared outside. Billyj thinks it's because I was raised by wolves
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Schlow Burger by farnfam (Hi Rick and Welcome[...)
Probably is Cynthia ...Welcome Rick. If I'm eating out, even at a restaurant, I don't know where the beef came from. I therefore eat it well. If I have purchased it from my local butcher, I eat it medium to medium rare.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Schlow Burger by bjcotton (Probably is Cynthia ...)
My aunt, a vegetarian, always ground her own filet steak for her husbands evening meal. He ate it several times a week, well done. I have to say those rissoles, she never called them hamburgers, were to die for. I to use the old fashioned handled mincers, I have two, small and big. When we were feeding millions of kids the butcher did several kgs for me, and it was straight home and prepared and frozen in patties while it was still cold. I cooked them well done. We never had any upsets. But that may have been good luck when I think of the volume that went onto plates. I cannot stress enough how valuable our flat top was to us in those days. Now I don't use it.
I have a meat grinder on my kitchen aid mixer I use to grind meat. If I know I need to cook hamburger less than well I grind it myself.

Always better to be safe than sorry
This seems to be the one issue that has somehow gotten lost in a recent move. If anyone has this copy still and has the recipe to the potato salad that was included with the poached eggs, I'd love to have it again.

Thanks!
  Re: Re: Schlow Burger by Foodnerd (This seems to be the...)
Welcome foodnerd. I don't have access to this recipe, but there are several members here that have access to the archives and can post it for you. If you check back later tonight or tomorrow morning, someone will be along to post this for you. After that, we would love to have you join in our fun and food. We all love to cook and share many recipes and review them as well. Come back soon and often!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.