Chicken Marsala
  Re: (...)
Does anyone know if CAH has done a Chicken Marsala recipe? I made one last night that was pretty good. I actually call it Chicken Marsala Bastardized...cause I change it (or adapt it) from several other recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Marsala, An Adaption
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

4 large chicken breasts, lightly pounded -- sliced 1/2-inch thic
1/2 large onion -- chopped
1 pound mushrooms -- sliced 1/3-inch thic
1/4 cup olive oil -- more if needed
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup Dry Marsala wine
2 tablespoons butter -- optional
all-purpose flour -- as needed
salt and pepper -- to taste
garlic powder -- to taste
2 cups heavy cream (or 1 cup heavy cream & 1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.

When the oil is hot, dredge both sides of the chicken in flour (garlic powder, salt & pepper). Shake off excess flour and place in pan, browning lightly. Remove to a warm plate.

Add mushrooms and onions and saute until onions are softened. Remove to the plate with the chicken.

Turn the heat to high, add the Marsala wine and chicken broth; scrape browned bits from the bottom and sides of the pan; reduce liquid by half. Return chicken, onion and mushrooms to the pan and heat through.

Add 3/4 cup heavy cream to 1 Tbs cornstarch and make a slurry. Add the slurry to the chicken mixture stirring until thickened. Continue adding heavy cream until the desired amount of sauce is achieved.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Chicken Marsala by bjcotton (Does anyone know if ...)
Can't answer that question BillyJ - but good flavors going on in your dish. Maybe a ittle too heavy on the Marsala for me and way too much heavy cream for me trying to be so good lately...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chicken Marsala by cjs (Can't answer that qu...)
Actually Jean, I adapted that recipe again. I did not use any cornstarch or make a slurry; did not use all of the Marsala; and used 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup half and half. Using the cornstarch made the "gravy" too thick. The flour that the chicken was dipped in had enough thickening power to give a medium-thick "gravy" which thickened a little more off heat. I think next time I will make the chicken pieces a little larger and it won't take soooo much time to brown it. It is really good though.

Billy
  Re: Re: Chicken Marsala by bjcotton (Actually Jean, I ada...)
In the weeknight menus there is a Mushroom Pork Marsala. Looks good, I haven't tried it yet though.

Her is my favorite Chicken Marsala recipe.

Chicken Marsala
2 servings

10 oz skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup flour
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I probably use more)
1 can of quarterd artihoke hearts, drained
1/2 cup dry marsala
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, juliened
salt and pepper

Pound the chicken to about 1/4 inch thick.

Cut into 4 cutletts. preheat pan and place the oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter in saute pan over medium-high heat.

Dredg the cutlets in the flour and saute until cooked through. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add the mushooms to the pan and sue 3 or 4 minutes.
Add the artichokes and cook 1 more minute.

Turn heat up to hig, add the Marsala and boil for 2 minutesto reduce slightly and deglazethe pan.

Add the chicken stock and tomatoes, reduce to thicken the sauce.

Add the meat and their juice back to the pan to heat through. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove from heat and swirl in the reserved tablespoon of butter to thicken the sauce.

Serve over your favorite pasta - we like fetuchini.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Chicken Marsala by esgunn (In the weeknight men...)
Now, that has some tasty flavors Erin. Thank you. Can't have too many variations. The Pork Marsala sounds good too. I haven't gotten my first copy of Weeknight Menus yet. We eat a lot of pork here.

Yahoo, not ten minutes after I made the above post, the mail came and there was my copy of Weeknight Menus!

Billy
  Re: Re: Chicken Marsala by bjcotton (Now, that has some t...)
Oh piddle, Weeknight Menus is a magazine?? When Lorraine started talking of it, I thot it was a book...better go look I guess.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com