Help please!!!!
  Re: (...)
I need some advice. Hubby (a neurosurgeon) has had an exacerbation of low back pain to a MAJOR degree!!!! He underwent a major disc surgery several years ago( remains disabled due to) and periodically has bouts of extreme pain--usually with a really nonsensical activity---this time clipping his toenails!!! (Would you believe???) Anyway---WE are trying to keep him on conservative management--away from the hospital and heavy narctoic scene (Not a surgical candidate at this time)---meaning--he is on anti-inflammatory meds as well as muscle relaxants. The anti-inflammatories are creating MAJOR havoc with his stomach and I have been trying to make really bland meals for a counteraction or absorbing factor.

I need some help with ideas for BLAND foods!!!

I've done the oatmeal, pancake, soup things--- HELP PLEASE!!!! I would really like to stay away from the hospital scene here---- SCAREY!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Help please!!!! by Roxanne 21 (I need some advice. ...)
Hang tight Roxanne, I'll be right back. On another forum, we discussed a bland diet for someone and there were some good ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I'm sorry to hear about your husband. Regarding bland foods, how about chicken and dumplings? Dumplings are kind of bland and absorbent, aren't they? They settle my tummy anyway. I've got a recipe too, if you need one.
Tammy
roxanne, I'm p.m.ing you some ideas - I'm sure you probably don't need the recipes, probably just need to jump start your imagination and you'll be fine, but I've included them also. All are pretty bland, but you'll be able to tell what needs to be "blanded down" for him.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help please!!!! by TwilightKitten (I'm sorry to hear ab...)
A great tried and true dumpling recipe would be great---I have made the typical Jewish chicken and matzo penicillin dish---but my matzos always turn out like lead balloons---my Polish dumplings are not much better!!!

Thank you guys for your willing assistance---I knew you would be there!!!!

Glad to see you on board Tammy!!!
  Re: Re: Help please!!!! by cjs (roxanne, I'm p.m.ing...)
You're a STAR!!!! Thanks a bunch!!!
  Re: Re: Help please!!!! by Roxanne 21 (A great tried and tr...)
This is the recipe my mom used to make before she got a b/f who does all the cooking. If you don't want to make the chicken too, I don't see why you couldn't use chicken broth in place of the water, maybe? I always have to double the dumpling recipe because everybody fights over them.

Chicken Fricassee and Dumplings
4 ½ to 5 pound stewing chicken, cut up
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons paprika, if desired
Shortening or oil
1 cup water
3 Tablespoons flour
Milk
Dumplings (recipe follows)

Wash chicken pieces and pat dry. Mix 1 cup flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Heat thin layer of shortening in skillet; brown chicken on all sides. Drain off fat; reserve.

To skillet, add water and, if desired, chopped onion, lemon juice or herbs such as rosemary or thyme leaves (I usually only use rosemary and thyme). Cover tightly; cook chicken slowly 2½ to 3½ hours or until fork tender, adding water, if necessary. Remove chicken to warm platter; keep warm. Pour off liquid in skillet; reserve.

To make gravy, heat 3 tablespoons reserved fat in skillet. Blend in 3 tablespoons flour. Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Add enough milk to reserved liquid to measure 3 cups; pour into skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Return chicken to gravy. Prepare dough for dumplings; drop by spoonful onto hot chicken. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes; cover and cook 20 minutes longer.

6 to 8 servings.

Note: To fricassee a boiler/fryer chicken, select 3 to 4 pound broiler/fryer chicken and cook slowly 45 minutes or until fork tender.

Dumplings

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons shortening
¾ cup milk

Measure flour, baking powder and salt into bowl. Cut in shortening thoroughly until mixture looks like meal. Stir in milk.
*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt

Edited to add: These are the fluffy type of dumpling, not the noodle type. I can't stand those!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Help please!!!! by TwilightKitten (This is the recipe m...)
What would I do without my friends!!?!! Thank you, too, Tammy!!! UMMMM---copied and printed---have been looking for a great dumpling recipe for a very long time!!! Will let you know when I make it!
  Re: Re: Help please!!!! by Roxanne 21 (What would I do with...)
I've copied it also!! Haven't made dumplings for a long time -

Roxanne, here's one more for you - Miso soup? I love it when I'm out of kilter...

Miso Soup

Serves 6

1 teaspoon soybean oil
2 cloves garlic -- mashed
1/2 cup onions -- sliced lengthwise
1 teaspoon fresh ginger root -- grated
1/2 cup carrots -- thinly sliced
1 cup mushroom -- thinly sliced
2 tablespoons miso
1 tablespoon dry sherry -- to taste
4 cups water

Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, sauté until soft. Add fresh ginger root, carrots and mushrooms. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp tender.

Dissolve miso in 1/4 cup of the water and add it to the vegetables in the saucepan along with the remaining water and dry sherry. Reheat and serve.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help please!!!! by cjs (I've copied it also!...)
Perhaps eggy desserts might help him maintain nutrition. A juicer is a good idea too, veg. Nibbling on dried fruit maybe. Milk shakes. It really doesn't matter what he eats, or when, so long as it is going in, painlessly.