My Yesterday
  Re: (...)
My yesterday was in no way as stressful as Roxanne's and I pray her today is much, much better. I would like to tell you a short story of my day to perhaps amuse you a little. I could be amused after it was over.

It began with my sis' turkeys getting out of their pen, coming into the yard and pooping on the patio...yuk. I herded them back into the pen, which was no easy task and then scrubbed the patio off. We then had a rolling thunder storm which frightened my Buddy dog into a nervous mess. My sis' dogs are not normally bothered by it, but there were several near misses which scared them too. Late morning I began the mise en place for the White Pepper and Ginger Lemon cake by going to the store for fresh ginger and some lemons. Since they have few gadgets, I had purchased a carpenter's microplane blade to zest the lemons only to discover it held onto the zest and no matter how I banged it wouldn't let go...so, I used a veggie peeler to remove the zest and then finely minced it..that was ok, I don't mind, then of course I had to mince the ginger very fine which is another thing I use the microplane for. Ok, that's done. On to gathering and measuring the other ingredients...no white pepper, baking soda, or buttermilk..awright, another trip to the store. Now for the 3 cups of flour...oh no, not a speck in the house...off to the store again. Keep in mind that she lives in the middle of a truck farm..it's about 3 miles to the bottom of the hill (all at 25 mph) and another 3 or so to the store. The first time or two wasn't too bad because even if I had to wait for the road crew cutting the roadside brush, I could enjoy the sweet smell of freshly mown grass. Now, it's just plain irritating..the whole thing. Ok, mise en place is done. Out comes the large mixer I'd given her, a Sunbeam Mixmaster,...no electrical cord..search high and low, finally call her in Colorado...still no cord. I find the smaller, but still powerful, hand mixer I'd given her, and although it takes longer than my KitchenAid mixer it finally does the job. Before she had left, I'd asked where her bundt pan was...she didn't use it so had given it away. She went to the neighbors, who the cake was for by the way, and they had one...a very light weight tin one...that would never do, so (this was before I began the mise en place) off shopping for a bundt pan. A new one was ~ $15.00..no way. Goodwill Thrift store didn't have one; Red, White and Blue Thrift store didn't have one; aah, Salvation Army Thrift store did...$.99. Good, but whomever had used it last had not cleaned it and it was sticky and gummed with residew...that's cleaned up and ready. Batter is in the pan. Now for her stove..she has a glass top with all the pushbutton controls...got the oven set and heated, pan goes into the oven. Now to set the timer..that's done, 10 minutes later I hear this beeping and rush to the kitchen only to find the timer has gone off and turned the oven off. Finally figure out how to shut the damned timer off, reset the oven and 70 minutes later remove this beautiful cake from the oven. Let it cool, remove it from the pan onto a rack; baste it with the sugar/lemon juice mixture and admire the way it just sucks that mixture up. Cover it and transport it to the neighbors (a whole 100 feet) and the mistress of the house wants to try it right away. I watch as her face lights up in delight and the flavors blend in her mouth and she moans in appreciation, "Oh Billy, this is wonderful!"

Satisfaction for a job well done and the irritation melts into amusement and pride that I could make someone feel that way with my efforts.

That was my yesterday.

Today started with the turkeys back in the yard and turkey poop on the patio...we'll see what today brings as I labor to prepare the Chicken Parmesan Roulades for the neighbors enjoyment tonight.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: My Yesterday by bjcotton (My yesterday was in ...)
OH Billy--you made my day!!! The trials that we have to go through sometimes for the smile at the end is all worth it---ain't it!!!! I just love those anecdotal stories---with happy endings, of course. You're gonna love those little roulade babies!!! And just think about those smiles you will receive again--nice to be appreciated!!

Enjoy and hope you have a fun time!!!

DON'T FORGET THE BASIL LEAF INSIDE THE ROLL-UP!!!! Nice twist!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: My Yesterday by Roxanne 21 (OH Billy--you made m...)
Lucky neighbours. I bet they love your sister going away. The trouble with turkeys and peacocks, they do have big dodos.
  Re: My Yesterday by bjcotton (My yesterday was in ...)
"Today started with the turkeys back in the yard and turkey poop on the patio..." - didja feel like Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day?????? LOL - you earned your own self a stiff drink after that day, except you barely drink, so I had one for you!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My Yesterday by cjs ("Today started with ...)
Thanks Jean! I knew I could rely on you.

I must say, today went 100% better (even if I did have to chase the turkeys, twice). Everything is ready with the exception of the roulades and they're just waiting to go into the skillet and oven. No Dijon so I used a garlic mustard with just a touch of yellow mustard and that worked well. I've got two yellow crookneck that I could do something with and I have the time, but don't know what to do with 'em. There will only be three of us.

Billy
  Re: Re: My Yesterday by Roxanne 21 (OH Billy--you made m...)
Yikes! Reminds me of the time I cooked and cleaned all day for a small dinner party - all that remained was to whip the cream for the grapefruit pie. I got out the small hand mixer and mixed and mixed and nothing. I thought I needed a bigger tool (isn't that the answer to most problems?) so I got out the big Sunbeam.

Something went horribly awry because when I turned it on, I was engulfed in a tidal wave of heavy cream. There was cream everywhere, even on the ceiling, and I was drenched. Fortunately the washing machine was in the kitchen. As I stripped down to throw my clothes in the washer my 20-year-old son walks in. I bellow at him to go to the market and get some cream - he ducks out and calls me about 10 minutes later and asks what he should get.

It turns out that the store brand cream (Albertson's) didn't whip well. I've never used a store brand for whipping since.
  Re: Re: My Yesterday by lxxf (Yikes! Reminds me o...)
Billy that made me chuckle thank you for sharing

That was chuckle WITH you..not at you Or at least it'll feel like 'with you' when you look back on this and laugh
  Re: Re: My Yesterday by lxxf (Yikes! Reminds me o...)
Welcome to CAH Lxxf. Glad you could join us...I'm familiar with the big mixers throwing things everywhere

I understand the laughing with me DFen. I usually doesn't take me long to see the humor in a situation...I'm basically a cheerful person and things don't get me down for long.

Billy