little bites
  Re: (...)
We had a small gathering of folks last week and decided not to do a standard meal. Instead we opted to serve the little bites from the last edition of Cuisine at Home. Since I'm one of those people who goes to a restaurant and sometimes orders several appys as opposed to a main course, it seemed like a logical thing to do. Everything went very well and all the recipes were well received.

We had previously tried the Prosciutto Shrimp with Cucumber-Melon Salsa and, in fact, have had it on several occasions. I like to make up the salsa and add a little chopped Kalamata olives and red onion and munch on it by itself. This dish was the stand out of the evening, so I had to supply print outs of the recipe to all.

Even though I prefer the real thing when it comes to Rumaki, the Steak Rumaki with Bourbon Vanilla Sauce went over very well with all.

The second most popular dish was the Crusted Goat Cheese with Spinach & Fresh Tomato Salsa. I have to admit I had to hit a few knuckles with the serving spoon, so I could get my fair share.

Last, but not least, the Asian Chicken Skewers went over well. They had to-There was no shrimp left.

It was all served with a huge Caesar Salad and accompanied by various libations of choice. So, if you haven't tried them yet, I can highly recommend all of them. I'm only partial to the shrimp, because I never met a shrimp wrapped in a slice of prosciutto that I didn't like. Actually, I never met anything wrapped in a slice of prosciutto that I didn't like.

Enjoy,

Dean
If you don't like it, eat it anyway: Grandma
  Re: little bites by Kholwolf (We had a small gathe...)
Nice one Dean. I have to say, I like nibble dinners best of all.
  Re: Re: little bites by vannin (Nice one Dean. I ha...)
That sounds great Dean. I'm glad it turned out well. Also glad you reviewed those recipes.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: little bites by Kholwolf (We had a small gathe...)
When I know a restaurant has a great dessert that I want to try, I also go with appys for my dinner.

I've made the Asian Chicken Skewers so far and really enjoyed them. The crusted goat cheese w/Spinach is on the menu for Papa's day, Sunday. Good, huh??

Have not made the others, but sure I will. Guess I'd better move the shrimp up to Sunday also...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: little bites by cjs (When I know a restau...)
You gotta do the shrimp. I even did them once on my George Foreman Grill (long story-but it was free), but I've done em thrice on the barbie. You won't regret it-at least I hope not.

see ya,

Dean
If you don't like it, eat it anyway: Grandma
  Re: Re: little bites by Kholwolf (You gotta do the shr...)
I'm convinced - I asked Roy what he wanted for his Father's day menu and his response? "Surprise me!"

So, I think it will be a c@h day. The Italian Steak Sandwich for his Champagne Brunch and the Little Bites w/a salad for dinner. sounds like a fun day of cooking.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: little bites by cjs (I'm convinced - I as...)
Oooooh Jean, I remember those champagne brunches from when I was there on New Years...yum!

Jean does excellent champagne brunches (even if I don't care for champagne). At her "Last Party on The Hill" if I remember correctly we had grits with leeks and shrimp for a brunch. Now that was a taste treat.

One of my friends sent me a 5 lb bag of stone ground grits. No one at home likes grits except me...that means more for me.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: little bites by bjcotton (Oooooh Jean, I remem...)
That same friend sent me that same thing...I haven't used them yet, I'm embarrassed to say - what'll we do with those grits, BillyJ????

Nothing I like better than putting on a Champagne Brunch!!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: little bites by bjcotton (Oooooh Jean, I remem...)
OOOO--GRITS!!!!! It has been too many years since I have had true grits!!! (NO PUN INTENDED!!!) I grew up in Virginia and grits was a common fare---after the age of seven they have been off of the radar screen. I have seen many recipes on several menus with grits included and this brings back those memories---hopefully I will be able to reconnect with that in the near future!! I remember that I LOVED grits as a kid-----dejavu---nice input, guys!!! Can't wait for the grits with leeks and shrimp----RECIPE PLEASE!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy