What a find!!!! A rare cookbook.
  Re: (...)
I was in a used book store and purchased a 1977 Jeff Smith cookbook, before he was real famous. It is spiral bound, written not typed. An online site offered to sell theirs for $145.00, then marked it down to $100.00. I got mine for $1.00 !!!! The site say it was a rare cookbook, hard to find!!! Woo Woo!!!
  Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by Barbrainnc (I was in a used book...)
That's the way I like to get my cookbooks. I browse the used bookstores. I'm going to try to go to the Powell Street Bookstore here in Portland while I'm here. See what I can find
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by Barbrainnc (I was in a used book...)
I am so pleased for you. I adore to pick up something a little from the ordinary, and those dates matter. Good for you, now I will go and kick the dogs, out of shear frustration and jealousy. I find it does help, but they don't seem to notice. Billy, I understand Portland has one of the best 2nd hand bookshops in the world. My BIL goes there. And the galleries. They don't have much wall left.

Edit. Ps really, in India they sell books by the weight, That is 3000lbs ma'am, It will cost xxxxx. Good luck on the aeroplane ma'am. hahahahahahaha
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by vannin (I am so pleased for ...)
We always keep a weather eye out for William De Morgan books. They pop up in the strangest places. He took to writing novels after he got sick of making that extraordinary pottery. We only have one piece. We can't afford it, even if we could find it.
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by vannin (We always keep a wea...)
Isn't it great when you run across a find like that (esp. at that price)?

Many moons ago, my mother gave me a cookbook by Anita Prichard called "Back-to-Basics American Cookbook." It's my favorite cookbook, and it has my mom's homemade noodle recipe in it. (It's one of many recipes that she couldn't tell me how to make because she never measured anything, LOL). Anyhoo, I decided to buy another copy of it to give to my oldest daughter (who got married this year). It's no longer in print, but I found a used hardcover copy from Amazon.com for about $6.
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by Suzie_Homemaker (Isn't it great when ...)
Good for you Suzie, I do believe it is impossible to collect enough.
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by vannin (Good for you Suzie, ...)
It seems I've inherited my mother's love of cookbooks. I already have a big collection, but can't resist buying more. I'm running out of storage space, so I'm having to pare down my collection, though I give some to my daughter because she loves to cook. That way the books stay in the family.
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by Suzie_Homemaker (It seems I've inheri...)
I renovated my kitchen two years ago to accommodate my cookbook collection---HOW crazy is that?? Now I have to renovate again for the additions since then---UGH!!!! Won't give up my books though---I suppose I will have to redo my will for my daughter---if she would only learn how to cook something other than Ina's "Perfect Roast Chicken"-- BTW--that is an awesome recipe!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by Roxanne 21 (I renovated my kitch...)
I do not lend books, they will never come back. I told my mother, a long time ago, that to take books and be cavalier with return, is little better than theft. I offered my handbag, told her there was money in it, if she chose to take it. She was both hurt and angry with me. But recently I got back a book I had lent her nearly 20 years ago. From my sister. People have no concept of the value of books. Or of how treasured they are. Hold on to them as best you can, people will take your books as they will drink your spirits. Unbridled and abandoned people. Greedy, invasive, fingering a collection it has taken thousands of $ and thousands of hours to assemble. I have no time at all for them.
  Re: Re: What a find!!!! A rare cookbook. by vannin (I do not lend books,...)
Hi, my name is Angela, and I'm a cookbook addict. LOL!!! It's true! I can't get enough. I received a new one in the mail yesterday. "Giada de Laurentis: Giada's Family Dinners" I have two glass encased book cases in my kitchen just for my collection! Everyone know that on any occasion that they need to give me a gift, a cookbook is always very welcome! Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese, Thai, ones for breakfast, smoothies, herbs, grilling,...OMG, I could go on for 10 pages. It's nice to know that there are others who share my passion and love of collecting these treasures!
Loving every moment of my life!!