Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus
  Re: (...)
Sharon (Harborwitch) and I got this recipe from a fellow chef on another forum - I'm including two more recipes in the same vein - so to speak - I had forgotten them till I pulled up the pots de creme recipe - nows the time to make them!! I think I'll add one to the dinner menu this week...

Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme

You can vary the number of chiles and the amount of cayenne depending on your heat tolerance (and your sense of adventure ). When I'm making it at home, I use more heat; at the restaurant, less.

Combine 1 1/4 cups heavy cream, scant 2/3 cup whole milk, and 2-6 dried red chiles. Heat until just barely boiling, and let steep 15 minutes. Strain, add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne, and reheat. Place 12 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet (or equal amounts of each) in a food processor, pour the hot milk mixture over, and let stand 30 seconds. Process for one minute, add two eggs, and process for another 45 seconds. Pour into 1/4-cup ramekins, and let stand six hours or overnight.

Enjoy!
---------

(Below are my notes on the pots de creme)
I made it yesterday for tonite's dessert and put it in demitasse cups. There will only be four of us, so the neighbors will be scoring today. But, yesterday afternoon, R & I took two of them to the winery in town where we're getting anquainted to test some wines with them. Molly, who was pouring took one and R & I shared the other and had some fun.

All the wines we tried were great with this - maybe cause of the bittersweet chocolate and the spicy of the peppers. I used a mix of Ancho and Pasillas and the full 1/4 tsp. cayenne.

Dungeness Red - a blend of Lembburger, Merlot, etc.
Dungeness White - a Reisling style
and their Cab - all of these worked with the dessert!!
-------

Sunny also gave us this one -

Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream
Combine 2 cups whole milk, two cups heavy cream, 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup crushed pink peppercorns; bring to a boil. Let steep one hour, strain, and return to a simmer.
In a separate bowl, whisk together seven egg yolks; temper with one cup of the pepper-milk mixture, add back to the milk, and heat -- whisking constantly -- until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Cover with film directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming; chill four hours, then freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

Enjoy, y'all!
---------

Another friend gave us this one -

Strawberry and Black Pepper Sorbet

1C Sugar
1C Water
2 tablespoons of Whole peppercorns crushed in a mortle and pestle
2lbs Strawberries washed and chopped roughly 6cups
2tbsp of Lemon Juice

Heat sugar and water in a small pan until sugar is dissolved. Place strawberries and sugar syrup into a food processor and process until smooth. Add lemon juice and crushed peppercorns. Chill

Then pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the directions

******BBQ TIP- add a shot of tequila or rum and a wedge of lime to each serving of sorbet.. makes for a YUMMY BBQ
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus by cjs (Sharon (Harborwitch)...)
Thanks, Jean! That Sorbet sounds great. And now that I have an ice cream maker....
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean! That ...)
And I have to get one---Any recommendations???

Thanx Jean---interesting, as usual!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus by Roxanne 21 (And I have to get on...)
I think Billy has a Cuisinart one. Mine is a no name something or other, but it was a Valentine's gift, and it works. I do wish I had two bowls though.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Oh My Word! The ice cream and sorbet sound awesome! Thank you for the recipes...
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus by dollop (Oh My Word! The ice...)
I have two - one, like BillyJ's a Cuisenart and the other is an attachment to my K.A. mixer. Like them both. If you have only one, I agree with Lorraine - spend the extra money and get two bowls.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
lol...thanks for the recipe, but I feel really stupid. Someone (maybe you?) posted that once before, and I already had it copied and saved. D'oh! lol...I thought it sounded familiar!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus by TwilightKitten (lol...thanks for the...)
well, look who feels stupider...I don't even remember posting it...
www.achefsjourney.com
All three of those are on my list to make soon! In fact we have a stockpile of chocolate for the pot de creme and I got a big jar of pink peppercorns. Plus I'm stocked up on heavy cream.

The week after 4th of July is going to be a big family week. Our friend from Quebec (now NY area) is coming for a short visit. My oldest and her hubby and 2 girls are coming for 2 days, my youngest will more than likely show up for that. And Bob's daughter is comming from Tennessee for a week long visit.

They've switched my hours so that I'll have lots of time (I only work 2 full days in the office, the rest of the time will be from home/boat from 5 pm to 7 pm with another 10 hours somewhere devoted to marketing, pr, and event planning. More time to cook.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Chocolate-Chile Pots de Creme - Plus by Harborwitch (All three of those a...)
What a fun 4th you guys will have!! But, don't overdo, lady!!

Great hours - so you'll be a little freer to get away once in a while????
www.achefsjourney.com