ISO - Lava Cake - for Maryann!!
  Re: (...)
Ok I've done the web search, but most I find are so you can buy the cakes already made.

Does anyone have a recipe for the individual lava cakes? I have a special dinner coming up and would love to wow them with it.

Thank you!
  Re: ISO - Lava Cake - for Maryann!! by DFen911 (Ok I've done the web...)
How about these?

Molten Chocolate Cakes

Makes: Six 6 oz. Cakes Total Time: 50 Minutes Rating: Easy

For the Black Cherry Sauce—
Combine, Boil, and Reduce:
1 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup sugar
1 t. balsamic vinegar
2 pieces lemon and orange peel
1/2 t. black peppercorns
1/4 t. whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick

Strain; Combine then Whisk in:
2 t. cornstarch
1 T. cold water

Add:
1 1/2 cups frozen black cherries

Off Heat, Add:
1/4 t. almond extract

For the Molten Chcolate Cakes—
Melt Together; Cool:
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
4 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces (1 1/2 sticks)

In a Large Bowl, Beat:
4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar

Beat into Egg Mixture:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t. vanilla extract
1 t. instant expresso powder (or 2 t. instant coffee granules)
1/2 t. salt

Add and Beat:
Melted chocolate mixture

Serve with:
Black Cherry Sauce
Sweetened whipped cream
Shaved milk chocolate

For the Garnish—
Whip to Soft Peaks:
1 cup whipping cream
2 T. sugar
2 –3 drops almond extract

Preheat oven to 375°. Liberally spray six 6-oz. ramekins with nonstick spray.

Combine dry red wine, sugar, balsamic vinegar, lemon and orange peel, black peppercorns, and cinnamon stick for the Black Cherry Sauce. Boil and reduce to 3/4 cup, about 5 minutes.

Strain, combine cornstarch and cold water then whisk in. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Add cherries and heat through.

Off heat, add almond extract. Serve sauce warm. Chop chocolate for cakes into pieces the size of chocolate chips.

Melt together chocolate pieces and unsalted butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir often to prevent burning.

In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until "ribbon" stage, about 7 minutes. At that stage, it will be pale yellow and look like lightly whipped cream.

Beat into egg mixture: flour, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and instant espresso powder, about 2 more minutes.

Add melted chocolate mixture and beat another 5 minutes. Use an ice creamscoop for spooning the batterinto the ramekins—use 2 level scoops, or 3/4 cup. Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake 15–17 minutes, until puffed and mostly dry on top around edges. Remove cakes from oven and rest 3 minutes.

Whip cream, sugar, and almond extract to soft peaks.

Serve cakes with sauce, whipped cream, and chocolate shavings.
Tammy
  Re: Re: ISO - Lava Cake by TwilightKitten (How about these?[br]...)
Oh these might be perfect! Hubby likes the lava cakes but isn't a huge chocolate fan (*gasp* I know..freaky!). Anyway, he loves cherries and this would be such a nice flavor.

Thank you so much! It's now in my Mastercook and added to my shopping list.
I'll add one also, this is from a great friend and a wonderful chef, Kelly Johnson.

MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CAKES - Kelly Johnson

6 oz coveture chocolate. chopped
4 1/2 oz butter
2 Tb. All purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
8 oz good vanilla ice cream
Chocolate and raspberry sauce to garnish

1. In a double boiler melt butter and chocolate together. And let set at room temp for 5 minutes or so.
2. In a small bowl whip eggs and sugar together till smooth and forms ribbons.
3. Mix eggs and sugar into chocolate and butter and whisk till incorporated.
4. Sift flour in taking care not to allow lumps.
5. refrigerate at least 1 hr.

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
Butter 4 each 4-5 oz. Ramekins and fill with lava mix
Bake at 375 for 6-9 minutes or till it barely wiggles when you shake it.
Invert on a plate and add a scoop of ice cream and decorate with raspberry and chocolate sauce.

These are probably the best I've ever made!!!

Be sure to butter the ramekins well if unmolding. If you have one, use a hand mixer for whipping the eggs and sugar, and do the rest of the mixing by hand with a spatula so you don't deflate it. Allow the cakes to set up first for about 10 minutes before unmolding. Enjoy!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Lava Cake by cjs (I'll add one also, t...)
Here's a Hot Fudge Pudding Cake from Hershey's that I made a long time ago. Wonder why I haven't made it again..it was very good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : A List Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar -- divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder -- divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter -- melted
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups hot water
whipped topping

Heat oven to 350°F.

Stir together 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth. Pour batter into ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter. Pour hot water over top. Do not stir.

Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top.

Garnish with whipped topping.

Source:
"Hershey's Classic Recipes"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
These are incredibly easy and really good...hard to go wrong with Nigella and dessert.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Molten Chocolate Babycakes

Recipe By :Nigella Lawson
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup unsalted butter -- at room temperature
unsalted butter -- for greasing
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
4 large eggs -- beaten with a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Unless you are making these up in advance, preheat the oven to 400º, putting in a baking sheet at the same time. Lay 3 buttered 6-ounce custard cups on a sheet of doubled baking parchment. Draw round them, remove, then cut out the discs as marked. Press them all into the base of the cups.

Melt the chocolate (my notes: I use the microwave) and let it cool slightly. Cream together the butter and sugar, and gradually beat in the eggs and salt, then the vanilla. Now all the flour, and when all is smoothly combined scrape in the cooled chocolate, blending it to a smooth batter.

Divide the batter between the 6 custard cups, quickly whip the baking sheet out of the oven, arrange the little cups on it and replace in the oven. Cook for 10-12 minutes (the extra 2 minutes will be needed if the puddings are refrigerator-cold when you start) and as soon as you take them out of the oven, tip out these luscious babycakes onto small plates or shallow bowls. Serve these with whipped cream, the same unwhipped in a pitcher, creme fraiche, custard or ice cream.

Source:
"How to Be A Domestic Goddess"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 499 Calories; 42g Fat (65.9% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 145mg Cholesterol; 46mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 8 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : You can make the mixture up to a few hours in advance and put it ready and waiting in the prepared cups in the refrigerator until you want to cook them; once cooked they must be served immediately.

My notes: Cook's Illustrated recommends the Hershey's "Special Dark" bars found in the candy aisle and I have had fabulous results with this very affordable chocolate.

I rewarmed leftovers in the microwave the next day before removing them from the custard cups.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  Re: Re: ISO - Lava Cake by semmens (These are incredibly...)
Just in case, Maryann!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Lava Cake by cjs (Just in case, Maryan...)
Thanks Jean, I'll put these recipes in my favorites for some special celebration down the road. It really was a memorable dessert!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ISO - Lava Cake by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, I'll pu...)
I've made Kelly's recipe, and it's great. I remember him saying he made up the made, then made the cakes to order.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: ISO - Lava Cake by Lorraine (I've made Kelly's re...)
yes, that's what's so great about his recipe.
www.achefsjourney.com