My BBQing Experiment
  Re: (...)
Here's my first experiment since I got the Weber's Real Grilling cookbook. Not bad. The meat wasn't ideal for grilling, popularly called London Broil, it was quite lean, but inexpensive. I'll turn it into a pulled beef dinner in the slow cooker tomorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/b...oast-1.jpg
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: My BBQing Experiment by bjcotton (Here's my first expe...)
I have that book too...I've been buying grilling books like mad! Oh, and that is a fine looking piece of meat...
Tammy
  Re: My BBQing Experiment by bjcotton (Here's my first expe...)
Firstly,( is that a word?) glad to see you're using the bbq!! Nice color there, Billy! Was it tough? Looks like a nice hunk of meat.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: My BBQing Experiment by Lorraine (Firstly,( is that a ...)
Yeah, it definitely wasn't the most tender I've ever had. Buddy thought it was just fine I really didn't want to experiment on an expensive piece. Flavor was good though. I used the rub that Pops gave us in Windsor. Unlike a stove which is pretty much the farther you turn the knob the hotter it gets, the BBQ is just backwards. It all worked out though.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: My BBQing Experiment by bjcotton (Yeah, it definitely ...)
It looks very good to me Billy. Just imagine a chateaubriand. With mushrooms and baked tomatoes. With just half a dozen big fat potato chips. All hot and bossy, with cream cheese to keep them quiet. Or butter, cold as a frogs tit, or maybe sour cream from a side dish and a salt pot to hand. A salad, crisp and arrogant in its excellence.. and Turkish bread.
"I used the rub that Pops gave us in Windsor." Shoot, you still have some left???? I sure liked that rub.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
The final product looks perfectly done though---I CAN'T WAIT for a great london broil cut----- DH loves the more rare side of things--but that is something I would tackle---Maybe some Au jus???? Good job, Billy. When we return I hope we can get into the grilling thing!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: My BBQing Experiment by Roxanne 21 (The final product lo...)
Crap. I gave my rub to Gil. Billy, sometimes cheap cuts are really good. Something like a good fatty pork shoulder, done low and slow. I should have bought futures in chicken thighs, because I've been going through them like crazy. Trim off the excess skin, but leave the skin on. Brine or marinate, again, do long and slow. Such a cheap, flavourful meal. And then there's......pizza!!!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Know the feeling not the most "tender" meat you've had and I don't know how many years it took to get thru my head that it has to be very very thinly sliced aganist the grain to really appreciate that cut of meat, I can't count the times previously it was turned into "pulled meat"
Tracie
  Re: Re: My BBQing Experiment by madmax (Know the feeling not...)
I suppose I am too late for this comment, but it seems tragic to pull apart this beautifully cooked and sliced beef. Often it happens that the initial 'so called' toughness vanishes as it cools, becomes cold. A wonderful beef salad, sliced fine as Madmax said, pickles, hearty bread, bliss.

Since I am doubtless too late, then consider it minced, with an old fashioned mincer, mixed lightly with Branston Pickle and spread cold on the beginnings of a Super Sandwich. Although I like it with just iceberg and beetroot. Don't know whether to call Billy or the beef a hunk. PDG anyway you look at it.