'Soda Jerk' Beans
  Re: (...)

It's a B.A. recipe and I made it last week - it's different and it's very tasty!!

"Soda Jerk" Beans
Why soda jerk? Because two kinds of pop lend the right dose of sweetness.
MAKES ABOUT 10 CUPS
2 cups ½” cubes cooked ham
15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
15-ounce can pork and beans, rinsed, drained
15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained
15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed,
15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed, drained
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
½ cup (packed) dark brown sugar
½ cup cola-flavored soda
½ cup lemon-lime soda
2 teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon dried savory
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
(Note: next time I’m going to add a little hot sauce)

Place all ingredients in heavy large pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until juices are thick, stirring gently and frequently to prevent burning, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

I didn’t want to be stuck in the kitchen the day I made these, so I baked them in a 350F oven for a couple hours. I took them out of the oven after about an hour and I was so disappointed – they looked so anemic!!! But then, I decided I had gotten Baked Beans into my mind and they certainly were not!! So, stuck them back in oven.

What a nice flavor this dish has – it makes a lot, so we’ve been eating on them all week and they just seem to get better and better. So, if you make them, get by the looks of them and I hope you enjoy!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 'Soda Jerk' Beans by cjs ([br] It's a B.A. rec...)
Thank you Jean, I will try this. It is so completely different from anything anyone here has ever had. But if beer works in a recipe, why wouldn't soft drink.