light vs. dark baking pans
  Re: (...)
Ya know how some recipes will advise you to lower the oven temperature by 25 deg. F if you're using a dark-colored pan? What if you're using a medium-colored gray pan that's neither dark nor light? Do you assume it's a dark pan or a light pan?
You have to know what the rules are before you can successfully break them.
  Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Suzie_Homemaker (Ya know how some rec...)
I'd say a dark pan. I like to cook with light pans. Dark pans burn everything, even if you cut the oven down !!!
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Barbrainnc (I'd say a dark pan. ...)
I have a Classic Calphalon nonstick springform pan that has a medium gray nonstick finish. I'm going to bake a cheesecake for my DH. The recipe I want to use gives 2 oven temperatures--1 for a light pan and 1 for a dark pan. I don't think it'll matter it I use the higher oven temperature, as I live at high altitude anyway, but I don't know.

This is the first time I've made a cheesecake in a springform pan. My old recipe doesn't have a crust, and it's baked in a pie pan (or you can double the recipe and bake it in a 13x9x2-inch inch pan).

All of my other baking pans are light, except for 2 NordicWare Bundt pans. I recently purchased a Wilton cast aluminum fluted tube pan that has a light-colored nonstick finish. I like a lot better than the NordicWare pans.
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Suzie_Homemaker (I have a Classic Cal...)
I have made a tried and true cheesecake recipe in a light AND dark springform pan. No difference with the same temperature. I, however, find that with muffins I have a much better result with the light pan. Why?? Go figure--I try to bake with the lighter versions of bakeware but fiddling with the times seems to work for me. High altitude baking is another kettle of fish---totally different---what a challenge!!

I spent a couple of weeks in Vail once and was sooo sick with the altitude change--living there must be an experience--never mind baking!!! How interesting---

God's country, to be sure!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Roxanne 21 (I have made a tried ...)
Baking is indeed a challenge here. If I didn't love to bake, I probably wouldn't bother, to tell you the truth. I've read that cheesecake is one of the easiest things to bake at high altitude because it doesn't have to rise. I'll know after I try this recipe, I guess.

The other day I baked a carrot cake in my new, light-colored Wilton fluted tube pan. It took the same amount of time to bake (same oven temp.) as it does when I bake it in my NordicWare Bundt pan. The only difference is in the color of the crumb, and the fact that the cake was much easier to unmold.
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Suzie_Homemaker (Baking is indeed a c...)
I'm glad I live down here in the low country, only 459'. Here the only thing I have to worry about is the screwed up oven.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by bjcotton (I'm glad I live down...)
Before I moved here, I thought I knew how to bake, LOL! I miss living in FL. It was humid there, but at least everything I baked turned out great. Here, I have to deal with a dry climate, an altitude of 4,000 feet above sea level, and a small wall oven that's 25 degrees off. I manage to bake some good stuff, though; just have to tinker around with the recipes until I get them right.
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Suzie_Homemaker (Before I moved here,...)
I'll trade you ovens Suzie. If I set mine to 350F, one time it'll be 375, another 400, and another 325. It takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get the temp right. It's so old it just can't make up it's mind.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by bjcotton (I'll trade you ovens...)
ARE WE HAVING FUN YET??????? this is the beauty of our chemistry experiments---figuring out all of those niggly bits to create the MOST ultimate creation---CHALLENGES!!!

Keeps me going and love every second!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: light vs. dark baking pans by Roxanne 21 (ARE WE HAVING FUN YE...)
And what chemistry experiments they are!