Funny story from Russia
  Re: (...)
Hi Guys,

I just had to share with you my little story from Russia.
I was there for the first time for 3 weeks after 27 years.
The next question everybody asks is:"things changed huh"...well let me tell yes they did BUT...it is all the same crap just different smell now...the most corrupt, burocratic society with no customer service and absolutely no comfort for people that live there.

Anyways, back to my little story.

Downstairs of the apartment we lived in was a chinese restaurant. So Joel(my b/f) says that it would be really fun to eat chinese food in Russia. Kind of different experience considering there is NO chinese people in Russia and you are served by 6 foot blue eyed blonde dressed in chinese outfit.

So, Joel loves egg rolls and I am looking at the next table and I see people have them on their plate. I started looking through the menu and I just could not find the darn things. Menu is in Russian so I figured I am just not seeing it right. I call the waitress and I show her egg rolls on the other table and I said..you know, I just cannot see them on the menu, can you please show them to me. She opens a page...and guess what they are called in Russia........now guess before you look at the answer.......................................................................................................................BLINTZES with MEAT.

The End.

Marina
  Re: Funny story from Russia by piano226 (Hi Guys,[br][br]I ju...)
I'll have a couple (if they were good) if you please Since I'm not so good at making eggrolls, maybe I can do better making blinzes with meat...ya think? Did you have fun? Did ya bring me back a present? That's my favorite question.....
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by bjcotton (I'll have a couple (...)
What a great story----I LOVE BLINTZES!!! Okay--so was the "egg roll" made with blintz dough or a more spring roll type wrapper? Fried in hot oil?? That's an interesting take---maybe the establishment can't import those wrappers--BUT I recently heard that Moscow is the MOST expensive to live in/visit today. Who would have thought that that could happen----the 'mafia' is succeeding. Wish they would come here---on second thought--------
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by bjcotton (I'll have a couple (...)
Well, the answer to question did we have fun is yes and no.
WE were in St. Petesburg and it is the most stunningly gorgeously city in the world BUT i have NOOOOOOOO idea how people live there. Very very expensive town but the incomes of people are very low. For example food costs the same as US, clothes more expensive but a senior citizens pension which is considered a good one is about $120. 00 per month. I have no idea how these people survive.
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by piano226 (Well, the answer to ...)
LOL Piano, that is almost as 'quaint' as some asian english usage.
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by piano226 (Well, the answer to ...)
How interesting to hear what you say about your visit. We have a business acquaintance who also just returned from 'going home to Russia' for a visit. His remarks were so similar to yours. One thing he mentioned was most of the folks he saw spent the day drinking vodka and 'discussing' the U.S. He couldn't wait to get home...here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by cjs (How interesting to h...)
Could not wait...is basically sums it all up...by the end I was counting seconds to get on that plane. NEVER NEVER AGAIN will i go to Russia pretending to be a native...ONLY ONLY as a tourist. At least you are treated like a human being if you do that.
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by piano226 (Could not wait...is ...)
You know, that really is very sad.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by cjs (You know, that reall...)
Yes Jean, I agree, it is very sad, and I feel very sad for Piano too. It will never happen, but I would love to see the glorys of Russia, very much as a tourist though.
  Re: Re: Funny story from Russia by vannin (Yes Jean, I agree, i...)
My parents are on their way to Russia now, via a cruise *****. Big difference though than staying locally. I'll be interested to hear what they thought.