Couscous
  Re: (...)
Per a request, I'll expound a little on couscous - I love it.

Couscous is made from granular semolina. Couscous is one of the foods that seems to take on the flavor of what it is combined with. Doesn't have much of a flavor on its own. The grains are so tiny, that it really isn't chewy, it's just 'there' - not realy technical, but...

It's also one of the fastest cooking items ever. Just bring liquid (water, stock, etc.) to boil, add couscous, cover, turn off heat, and let stand for 5 min. Then, just fluff up and add whatever you like to it.

My favorite way to cook it, is to add just a pinch of cayenne to the liquid as you bring it to boil. Just adds a little umph to it.

For serving hot, I add a little sauteed onion, celery and maybe garlic and some dried cranberries, snipped dried apricots.

For serving cold, well here's a couple recipes -

SPINACH COUSCOUS

1 ¼ c chicken broth
¼ tsp. grd. Red pepper (cayenne)
1 c dried couscous
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach -- thawed, spweezed dry
1 T. each: olive oil & seasoned rice vinegar
¼ tsp. salt

Heat broth & cayenne to boil over high heat.
Pour over couscous. Cover and let stand till lliquid has been absorbed, ~5 min.
Add spinach, oil, vinegar, & salt. Mix with a fork.

(If I have some feta in frig, I crumble some into this)
-----

CHICKEN with BLACK BEAN SAUCE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Bon Appétit, 12/90
Serving Size : 4

2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 pound chicken breasts, no skin, no bone, R-T-C
Pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large red bell pepper -- chopped/strips(?)
1 large onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons Black Bean sauce -- Oriental
Couscous, cooked

Combine teriyaki sauce & garlic in med. bowl.
Add chix & season generously w/pepper.
Refrigerate 30 min.

Heat oil in wok or heavy large skillet over high heat.
Add bell pepper & onion - cook till onion is almost tender, stirring constantly, ~4 minutes.
Add chicken w/marinade & black bean sauce.
Stir till chicken is cooked thru, ~4 minutes.

Serving Ideas : for Womanspirit - gr. onion flowers.
Bowl in center of platter; ring w/couscous; fill center w/chix. mix.
-----
one more -

* Exported from MasterCook *

COUSCOUS W/GOAT CHEESE
This was a Sandra Lee (Semi-Home Cooked) recipe from Food network.
Yield: 6 servings
Serve hot.

2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 pinch saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 oz. couscous
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/3 cup raisins
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup nicoise olives, pitted
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

In a medium saucepan, bring broth, saffron, and salt to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.

Transfer cooked couscous to a medium bowl and fluff with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Couscous by cjs (Per a request, I'll ...)
CJ thank you I think I figured out what I did wrong with my last couscous dish. I frequently add items to rice while it's cooking for flavor and I did that with my couscous. It was so horrible I vowed never to make it again.

Till now Lesson learned.
WOW----Thanks Jean!!!

Guess I will try again, after all!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Couscous by Roxanne 21 (WOW----Thanks Jean!!...)
IF...I can convert two souls to enjoying couscous, God will let me sleep easily...

You're both welcome.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Couscous by cjs (IF...I can convert t...)
Just a note on purchasing couscous and the Sandra Lee semi homecooked above. Never purchase "instant" couscous in a box labled so. All couscous is instant! The box costs about 20 times what just plain old couscous costs, and you get to add whatever flavors you want. AND...in the instant preflavored variety they always add way too much salt.
  Re: Re: Couscous by Kiernan46 (Just a note on purch...)
You're absolutely correct - I never noticed the line - I just have a huge container of couscous and go from there. Maybe I can get a moderator to edit that line!

Brian to the rescue!! Thank you sir.
www.achefsjourney.com
Jean dear, I went to the local grocery store and only found a tiny little box of "Parmesean Couscous". It was nearly $3 but I bought it anyway, so anxious was I to try some. We are quite rural here, with few choices in all but the most basic items. Can this be ordered in bulk online? Would that be wise? Any ideas?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Couscous by farnfam (Jean dear, I went t...)
Cis, I would wait until I made a trip into a larger city to get the couscous. Here in Roseburg we have several large grocery stores but still have problems getting anything "exotic." It wasn't until a few months ago I could get proscuitto. The only stuff I can get is prepackaged; the same goes for Parmesan. I still can't get veal here except on a very rare occasion. I just wait until I go to visit my little sis in Portland and then get all that stuff. Maybe when you visit that Costco/Sam's Club next time Be sure to take a couple of extra purses.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Couscous by cjs (You're absolutely co...)
Who knew??? Amazon's food line carries couscous!! If you order $25.00 or more, shipping is free.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref...2?node=16322181

They have quite a selection - I love the tri-color and the red/orange, they make such pretty salads and there is no flavor.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Couscous by cjs (Who knew??? Amazon's...)
Thanks muchly you guys! Checking out Amazon right now, and looking forward to another "romantic" visit to Sam's Club. bj, y'know, with the price of gas it'd be hard to justify the trip just for the couscous, but now it's all worth it
Cis
Empress for Life