Gourmet Camping
  Re: (...)
We go out into the wilderness for a week in the canoe. We cook on the Coleman stove or over the fire.
How about some suggestions for our camping trip menus. We have some tried and true favorites but I'd love to hear your recommendations.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Gourmet Camping by farnfam (We go out into the w...)
Cis, the only way I would do that anymore is to use my FoodSaver and pouch everything up - they freeze so flat and don't take up much room in cooler. That would take care of 3-4 days, with the defrosting and staying cold in the cooler.

I just made hash out of leftover smoked brisket (will post more on that in the other thread) and I'm going to pouch them up in two pouches to take on the next trailer trip.

If you're taking a skillet and eggs (break up and pouch them also and cook on site)- scramble them up and top the hash with that and a little grated cheese (pouched.... )

It will be interesting to see other's ideas - that I can adapt also!!!

What a fun trip to look forward to!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Gourmet Camping by farnfam (We go out into the w...)
Cynthia,
I saw this in some magazine,...can't remember which, but made a mental note to try the next time (if ever) I go camping again! HA

Boiled omelets.... Take 2-3 eggs and beat them, put them along with what other ingredients you like and put them in a heavy duty ziplock baggie. Drop into pot of boiling water over campfire. Dump out onto plate. BAM you're done! LOL

It sounded like something the kids would like to do and it would still taste great!

Probably the real heavy freezer type bags would hold up to the boiling.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Gourmet Camping by Bizymomma (Cynthia,[br]I saw th...)
That's what I was trying to remember Angela. I knew I'd seen it, but couldn't remember what all it was. Thanks.

If you have a Foodsaver you can take all kinds of things already prepared, vacuum packaged and frozen. Rice, stews, baked potatoes, roast chicken, whatever, and then all you need is boiling water to heat them..perfect rice, etc.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Gourmet Camping by bjcotton (That's what I was tr...)
Thanks for all the info folks. I'd kinda been thinking about a food saver. I almost bought a dehydrator at one point, but the food saver sounds like a better investment and time saver as well.
So far our menu includes, Clams or Mussels with Sausage and Tomato sauce over garlic bread for the first nite (shellfish's short shelflife being the factor)
Other nites choices are, Tortelini with Garbanzos and Broccoli, Bacon wrapped Turkey Filet Mingnons with Spinach and Couscous, hopefully fresh caught fish breaded and fried at the campsite, Salmon in Cream Sauce over Fettucini, all served accompanied with wine (the kind that comes in a big plastic bag you can stick in the cooler, such Connoisseurs we are). Trail mix with M&M's, chocolate puddings, and other high cal treats we don't get when we eat in the real world, only in the wilderness. Maybe there will be wolves!
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Gourmet Camping by farnfam (Thanks for all the i...)
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Hi there, Steve and welcome to c@h! Caterer and personal chef...I was in that line for a few years. good to see you here.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Post deleted by sysadmin by (...)
Welcome Steve, so good to see you, you're gonna like it here
I'll be checking backpacker mag for online info, thanks for the tip. I took an online "Gourmet Backpacking" food course earlier this year. It involved a lot of dehydrating which isn't really necessary with the canoe, still I learned a bit. Any and all ideas will be welcome, we love variety.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Gourmet Camping by cjs (Hi there, Steve and ...)
WELCOME STEVE!!!! You will love the family---please visit often---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Gourmet Camping by Roxanne 21 (WELCOME STEVE!!!! ...)
Hey Steve!

Cis, I am a big fan of the FoodSaver. I have a side-by-side reefer/freezer in the kitchen and two freezers in the garage. I buy in bulk (much cheaper) and then package in useable sizes. Even if the meat is freezer wrapped I will vacuum package it to extend the shelf-life. The nice thing about the FoodSaver packaging is that it can be washed (dishwasher if you want) and reused. My first FoodSaver lasted 7 or 8 years and then wouldn't vacuum very well. I paid $1 for new seals and it works like new. Don't get one of the cheaper models, go for the Professional II. The cheaper models you can use on a few packages and then it has to cool, the Pro II you can use time-after-time all day long.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy