Canning.
  Re: (...)
What you call canning, we call bottling, and I used to do a lot of it. And I loved doing it. I loved to see the shining jars all lined up on shelves glowing their wares at me when the light was turned on. Does anyone else bottle stuff, do you make jams, jellies, chutneys? Do the apricots snuggle up to the peaches, and the apples eye the thick ploppy skinned seeded tomatoes, wondering which is first for the pot. Now I know Lorraine does cherries in brandy, but do you really go for it in an intemperate, no holds barred way. It is something I have not done for about 15 years. And I want to do it again. schpeak to me people.
  Re: Canning. by vannin (What you call cannin...)
I used to can/freeze/dry or 'bottle' just about anything and everything I could get my hands on!! It was just about the only way to feed eight kids the way I wanted them fed. But...after they all grew up and were on their own, it seemed like everything in my "block house" disappeared after visits from them...in their care packages.

I finally decided, I had shown most of them how to preserve food and if they couldn't do it for themselves, tough! And with just Roy and me, there was no way we could use all the food in a timely manner. So I quit!! Oh, once in a while over the last 10-15 years, I would put up some jelly/jam when we had an especially good crop of something. But, no more pickles!! I got so tired of making pickles every single year!

Well, what a rant you started from me, Dale!! Now, having said all of the above...I just yesterday make a liar out of myself. I made some bread & butter pickles...Roy Rogers was whining.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Canning. by cjs (I used to can/freeze...)
Yep, I bottle/can things every year. Stewed tomatoes, juices, pickled beets, salsa, chutney, pineapple-apricot jam, pepper jelly, fresh tuna, etc.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Canning. by bjcotton (Yep, I bottle/can th...)
Ahhh, my story is very much the same as Jean's. Happily there are alway numerous requests for jars of what we call Jewish Garlic Dills. I'm not at all sure they are "kosher", but they do taste alot like the kind in the barrel at the deli. One last holdover from the Brooklyn days. Oh and yes,Dale, they do look elegant and regal standing so plump and tall and green in their jars. If anyone is interested, I can post the recipe.
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Canning. by farnfam (Ahhh, my story is ve...)
Well of course Cis, have you ever known us to turn down a recipe?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Canning. by vannin (What you call cannin...)
We do jam! And I mean jam! 400+ jars every year. Raspberry, blackberry, marrionberry, and combinations. I am deep into picking and freezing the berries right now and then we will mass produce jam in November. Also, tomato chutney, salsa, and applesauce.

I freeze roasted tomato sauce and fresh corn, and squash for using in casseroles and breads. If we get enough green beans this year I want to try and pickle some. That will be my something new.

Erin
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Canning. by esgunn (We do jam! And I me...)
LOL, what a wonderful response. It is true that a lot of jars here are large ones Jean, but I have found a place from whence to get a large variety. They have lovely little 250 ml jobs,(2oz less than half pt) just right for tomato puree for a soup or whatever. Or beetroot, pickled or otherwise, or anything come to that. I feel the urge to bestir myself, but can't yet. I feel damson jam coming on, or apple and rhubarb.

A little story. In Australia and NZ you cannot get pressure canners for love nor money. So all I every did was things that were pickled syrup or acid. Using the overflow method. Same as my mother and grandmother. Never had an upset with bugs in all the time we did it. But a lovely lady from the US decided I must do soups and beans and all sorts of other things, like stews and so on, so she sent me one. Howzzat. I have a pressure cooker, but could only do max of 3 jars in it. The one she sent has a dial on top so I know exactly where I am. And of course it is bigger. She also sent the Blue Book, spare seal, jar tongs and lifters. I was over the moon, as you can well imagine. What a stunning gift.
  Re: Re: Canning. by bjcotton (Well of course Cis, ...)
Garlic Dills

3parts apple cider vinegar to1part water boiling
2tsp salt per jar
6-8 slices garlic per jar
1 large sprig fresh dill per jar
pickling cukes about as long as your index finger

Assemble each jar with salt, garlic and dill sprig. Stand up cukes in jar, as many as you
can squeeze in, they shrink. Fill jar with hot liquid to cover cukes @ 1/2 inch from top of
jar. Close with heated lids and rim. Hot water bath @ 20min.
hope you enjoy them
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Canning. by farnfam (Garlic Dills[br][br]...)
esgunn, how do you manage to use 400+ jars of jam a year. Do you make them for gifts? The berries must be the best of all jams I think. And cherry.

Thank you for the recipe Cis.
  Re: Re: Canning. by farnfam (Garlic Dills[br][br]...)
Cis, sounds very much like my dills - I also added a grape leaf in the bottom of each jar, otherwise same recipe I think. God, the kids could go thru them!! Always made Bread & Butters also.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com