Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream
  Re: (...)
An English co-worker just asked me about some type of powder that would make sweet cream into sour cream.

His family lives in Malta and it seems that resources in the area are limited and they don't have sour cream, only sweet cream. He wants to take some of this powder home to his mother next week.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I told him to check Central Market or Sur la Table, but neither of us are sure what its called.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  Re: Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream by rhetta1 (An English co-worker...)
Here's what I found - some interesting info here.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_sourcream.htm

Sour Cream
From the message board of CountryLife.net Here are two methods for making your own sour cream at home.
Method 1
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 cup cream
1 tablespoon cultured buttermilk
Recipe can be increased at the ratio of 1 tablespoon buttermilk to 1 cup of cream.

I N S T R U C T I O N S
In a double boiler bring the fresh cream up to 180 degrees. Cool to room temp in a cold water bath. Add the buttermilk, cover, and let sit at room temp. for 24-48 hours. Stir and refrigerate. The batch will keep approximately 3-4 weeks, refrigerated

Method 2
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 cup cream
1 1/2 cups pasteurized whole milk
1/2 cup buttermilk

I N S T R U C T I O N S
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl over warm water. Raise the temperature of the mixture to (68 degrees to 70 degrees F) and let it stand for 12 to 24 hours or until it is sufficiently sour and thick enough to cling firmly to a spoon. Keep in the refrigerator until you want to use it. For a richer heavier sour cream combine 2 cups of pasteurized heavy cream with 5 tablespoons of cultured buttermilk and incubate as before. For better texture refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.

Tips and Hints on Using Sour Cream
Sour cream is commonly used for dips, dressings, and sauces or simply "plain" as a condiment.

Never boil sour cream because it will curdle immediately. To add sour creme to a hot liquid, remove the liquid from the heat source (or turn the heat to very low) and add the cream while stirring gently.

Avoid using sour cream in dishes with a lot of salt, as the salt may cause curdling. Also dishes made with sour cream do not freeze well

Baking With Sour Cream
Cakes using acidic ingredients such as sour cream may development a metallic flavor if baked and stored in an aluminum pan. To prevent this reaction from taking place, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper before adding the batter to the pan.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I apologize rhetta1 - I just reread your post. I didn't see anything about a powder to help your friend out.

I've decided not to delete the post tho, 'cause it sounds like something to play with....good luck in your search!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream by cjs (I apologize rhetta1 ...)
Just taking a wild guess here, but could it be rennet pwdr. he's looking for? Or possibly acidophelous (sp?)y'know the stuff that turns milk to yogurt? Also available in powder form.
  Re: Re: Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream by cjs (Here's what I found ...)
VERY informative---and I thought all one had to do was leave the cream out of the fridge for a few days and VOILA--you have sour cream---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream by Roxanne 21 (VERY informative---a...)
No Roxanne, all that would happen then is you'd have soured cream which is a world of difference.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
There is a buttermilk powder available. It is usually found in the same area as the powdered milk. I mix that up to bake with when I run out of the regular buttermilk. I have used that to make homemade sour cream. (It is made with a live culture.) Once opened you pop it in the fridge. It really comes in handy.
  Re: Re: Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream by dollop (There is a buttermil...)
Thanks everyone this is really helpful information. I will pass the links and recipes on to him.
  Re: Re: Turning Sweet Cream into Sour Cream by bjcotton (No Roxanne, all that...)
Yeah Billy---I was only pulling your leg, y'all!!! GEESH---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy