Snappy Stuffed Tomatillos
  Re: (...)
I've been running around posting this recipe on the other forums that I take part in because these little goodies are so good!! Hope they'll sound good to you all also...

I would love to give credit, but I have no ideas where I got this!

Snappy Stuffed Tomatillos
Serving Size : 20

20 tomatillos or cherry tomatoes (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter) -- see notes
2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
2 3-oz packages cream cheese -- softened
2 green onions (with tops) -- sliced
1 teaspoon ground red chilies
additional ground red chilies

Remove the papery skin from the tomatillos and rinse with cold water to remove all the sticky.

Cut thin slice from stem ends of tomatillos. Remove pulp and seeds with melon baller or spoon. Mix Cheddar cheese, corn, cream cheese, onions and 1 teaspoon ground red chilies. Fill tomatillos with cheese mixture. Sprinkle with ground red chilies. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.

Garnish with cilantro and green onions if desired. With more people discovering the zesty food of the Southwest every day, tomatillos are becoming popular throughout the country. These tangy fruits grow in papery husks that are easily peeled away, revealing the bright green, sticky skins.

NOTES : Tomatillos keep in the refrigerator as long as 2 or 3 weeks.
-------
I halved the recipe and just filled 6 tomatillos.
I had some filling left over, so I added it to some hot pasta - what a nice combination that was also!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Snappy Stuffed Tomatillos by cjs (I've been running ar...)
Thanks for this post cjs----looks like a doer for me except I will use the cherry tomatoes---no tomatillos here. Are those the green tomato look alikes--do they taste like tomatoes and have the same texture?? I see them frequently in recipes and am curious. Would green tomatoes work?? (We don't have those here either--most tomatoes are imported and are already ripened when in the market--not good local ones most of the time. We have really GREAT mini-plums and rosas though---
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Snappy Stuffed Tomatillos by Roxanne 21 (Thanks for this post...)
Well, tomatillos are from the same nightshade family as the tomato, the tastes are nowhere close. It's hard for me to use the correct words for the nuances of the taste, but they are said to have a lemony and herb flavor - which they do. The meat is much more dense and the seeds are miniscule compared to tomatoes.

If you've had and like commercial green salsas, then you like tomatillos - I think I'm correct in saying they are used in that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com