Meatballs
  Re: (...)
Has anyone a BETTER recipe for meatballs other than the one from C@H???? That is the BEST recipe for these little savories that I have ever had. I made the subs for this evening's dinner (again, I might add)and they never let me down. So moist and tender---and light. You could use any sauce with them other than the recipe given, I don't think that the meatballs would lose their significance. Totally awesome---IMHO. Just curious to know what you guys might think?? Issue 34.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Meatballs by Roxanne 21 (Has anyone a BETTER ...)
I made these for the first time a couple of months ago... they are really good! Rox, you're right, they are light and seasoned very well! I haven't fixed them in a while... I'm just stuck in this "trying new things phase." LOL

I WILL make them again tho!
Loving every moment of my life!!
You know I rarely make meatballs - I think it's because of making so many when I was working. Seemed like almost every party wanted Danish Meatballs with Dill Sauce - (I'll post it below).

I love a good meatball - I'll try C@H version. Maybe I've been away from it long enough....

So, I can't say these are better, but they are darn good!! But...more for any appy. Altho, I have had l/os once in a while and it's tasty over noodles.

DANISH MEATBALLS W/DILL SAUCE

Recipe By :a Chef's Journey
Serving Size : 75

1 pound grd. beef
1/2 pound grd. veal
1/2 pound grd. pork
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs
1/3 cup onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
Panko
1 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 T. dry dillweed

Mix beef thru heavy cream together; mix all together untill well blended.
Shape mixture with wet hands into 1" balls. Roll balls in panko & place side by side in a shallow baking pan; cover & chill.

Melt 1/2 cup of the butter in a large pan; stir in flour; grad. stir in broth. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, till sauce bubbles & thickens.
Stir in sour cream & dill. Taste; add addt'l salt & pepper, if needed. Cool & Chill.

When ready to serve, melt remaining stick of butter. Drizzle butter over the meatballs; bake in 375 oven for 30-35 min., or till brown - turning the meatballs after 15 min.
Place meatballs in chafing dish; pour sauce over & serve hot w/skewers for spearing. Sprinkle w/addt'l chopped fresh dill.

NOTES : Makes 75 meatballs & 2 cups sauce
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Meatballs by cjs (You know I rarely ma...)
I betcha could make the meatballs larger Jean, and then use them for sammies or subs, or even for a main dish. They sound really good.

I haven't made the CAH meatballs, like was said, trying too many new things.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Meatballs by bjcotton (I betcha could make ...)
That's an idea Billy, but these are really rich...wouldn't want to go too big.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Roxanne, would you mind posting that recipe for me? I sure would appreciate it.
TIA
  Re: Re: Meatballs by cjs (That's an idea Billy...)
Jean, in that case, they'd probably last more than one meal for the 800 lb gorilla.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Meatballs by dollop (Roxanne, would you m...)
My pleasure!!

Basic Meatballs
Makes 30-33 (1 1/2 oz.) meatballs; Total time: 50 minutes

Issue 35 page 23

Stir together:
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
3/4 cup Romano or Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 eggs, beaten
2 T. dried oregano (I use fresh)
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. kosher salt
1 T. ground black pepper
2 t. dried basil (I also add some fresh--about 2 T.)
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes (I use less--very spicey)
Pinch nutmeg

Add; shape:
2 lb. ground chuck
Cover bottom of pan with:
1 cup low sodium beef broth

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Stir together all ingredients (except ground beef) in a large mixing bowl.
Add the ground chuck and mix together thoroughly. Using a portioning scoop or two spoons, shape the meat mixture into balls (about 2 inches in diameter or 1 1/2 oz. each). Coat a baking sheet or shallow roasting pan with nonstick cooking spray. Space the meatballs on the pan so they're not touching or crowded together.
Cover the bottom of the pan with beef broth. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through. Reserve pan juices for sauce.

FRESH TOMATO SAUCE

Saute in 1/4 cup olive oil:
1 1/2 cups yellow onion, diced
Stir in:
2 t. garlic, minced
Add and simmer:
3 cans (14 1/4 oz. each) whole plum tomatoes, crushed
1/2 cup reserved meatball pan drippings
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
1 T. sugar
1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

Saute onions in oil over med-high heat in a large pan until translucent, about 4 minutes
Stir in garlic. Cook just until you smell it, about 30 seconds.
Add tomatoes, pan drippings, parsley, sugar, pepper flakes and salt. Simmer 25-30 minutes.

Add the meatballs about 10 minutes before you are ready to serve to warm through.

This is for the pasta and meatballs. Just before serving add some fresh basil, cut in strips and garnish with parmesan cheese.

Hope you enjoy!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Meatballs by Roxanne 21 (My pleasure!![br][br...)
Those look really good. I love meatballs. Watching Ina Garten the other day she added a generous sprinkle of water to the final mixture, before forming the balls. Jane tried it and it lightened the meatball and they were really quite pleasent. Anybody else ever tried that?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Meatballs by Old Bay (Those look really go...)
does keeping my hands sprinkle with water while forming the meataballls count??
www.achefsjourney.com