Banana parfait trifle
  Re: (...)
I made this today---very nice indeed!!!

Issue 49--back cover

The only problem I had--not really a problem though--was the fact that we don't have nilla wafers here--sooo--Billy (bjcotton) kindly posted a recipe for these a while ago and I finally got around to making them for this dessert.

DH asked me "WHERE did you find the vanilla wafers???" Now that says it all, doesn't it?? Thanks bj (if you read this upon your return).

Fairly easy to make--I always enjoy cooking up new treats!! Anad they were beautifully presented in my Waterford crystal parfait glasses JUST LIKE the photo in the magazine!!! I would not change a thing in this recipe. And the best thing---can be made ahead of time with no loss in consistency! Will do again--a definite 10.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Banana parfait trifle by Roxanne 21 (I made this today---...)
~cough, cough~ Pardon me. Could you share that with me, please? I sound like such a piggy!
  Re: Re: Banana parfait trifle by dollop (~cough, cough~[img]/...)
It's Banana Trifle Parfaits

ISSUE 49

Makes 4; Total time: about 35 minutes + chilling

Prepare:
1/2 recipe filling for Neo-Classic Banana Cream Pie

This is the full recipe in case you would like to make a banana pie

Whisk together:
2 eggs
1 T. dark rum: optional
Combine; Gradually add:
1 cup sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 T. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
2 cups whole milk
Off heat; add
2 T. unsalted butter
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Whisk eggs and optional rum for the filling in a small bowl.
Combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt in a saucepan, whisking to break up lumps. Gradually add milk and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 8 minutes. Temper some of the hot custard into the egg mixture, then add egg mixture to remaining custard. Continue to cook until thick and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
Off heat, add butter and vanilla. Cool slightly; set aside.

Melt 1/2 cup black or red raspberry jam (with or without seeds)

Assemble with 20 vanilla wafer cookies
3/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 firm, ripe bananas, sliced

Melt jam in a skillet over medium heat, whisking until smooth

Assemble parfaits by first crumbling 1-2 cookies into each of four 6 oz. clear glasses. Top with about 1 T. jam, 2-3 T. filling, 3-5 banana slices, and 2-3 T. whipped cream. Repeat with one more layer of all items, ending with whipped cream. Cover loosely with plastic and chill until cold, at least 3 hours or overnight. Before serving, garnish each parfait with a whole vanilla wafer cookie.

ENJOY!!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Banana parfait trifle by Roxanne 21 (It's Banana Trifle P...)
Thank you for taking the time to post this for me.