Juicing Stuff
  Re: (...)
While everything is plentiful and inexpensive, don't forget to juice things. Last year, I juiced all kinds of fruit [mainly plums and berries] and some veggies [mainly carrots and celery], for use later in the year. The fruits were for sorbets and granitas, the veggies for soups and stews. One thing I did learn was that no one likes Bing cherry juice. I tried to make sorbet and granita with it and after one taste, people turned up their noses; the same thing goes for grapes. People would drink the grape juices [not the cherry though], but didn't like the sorbet/granita made from it. While I was getting the cherries ready to juice I couldn't keep people's hands out of them, but the juice, nobody wants. I think I gave Jean a couple of packages, but the rest of it is languishing in the freezer. I will probably take it down to the Soup Kitchen when I get back home, they said they'd take it.

The FoodSaver says not to vacuum pack liquids, but I do it anyway. What I do is make the package a little longer than necessary; fill it about 1/2 to 2/3's full; place the FoodSaver near the edge of the counter; fold up a papertowel and place in the reservoir inside; hang the bag of liquid over the edge of the counter where the counter makes a kind of closed edge; then vacuum seal it. Every so often I take the papertowel out, clean out the reservoir and put a new towel in. Don't be afraid to remove the gaskets and wash them when they get sticky.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Juicing Stuff by bjcotton (While everything is ...)
...and just do the same thing with soups!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Juicing Stuff by bjcotton (While everything is ...)
The other thing I will do for freezing liquids - which is a little more cumbersome is I put the liquid in a small pyrex - oblong dish and freeze - then pop out and seal it. Works fine. I may have to try that over the counter method though!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.