Corn Bread
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a good recipe for corn bread???, and is it true it is best baked in a cast iron skillet. Whenever I have made it, it comes out heavy, and dry, and flat. Whenever we go to the US, I eat my weight in cornbread.
  Re: Corn Bread by swissmiss (Does anyone have a g...)
O.K., here comes WWIII!!! Purists say no sugar in cornbread - wait till Billy J gets here, he will no doubt expound on this subject. But, till he gets here -

Yes, a cast iron skillet that is screaming hot from the oven is what you want to pour your batter into - the crust will be out of this world crispy and good!!

I probably use a different recipe every time I make cornbread - sometimes I add creamstyle corn, sometimes chilis, or sausage or cheddar or......just plain delicious cornbread - WITH SUGAR, BILLY J!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corn Bread by cjs (O.K., here comes WWI...)
I LOVE cornbread. This has been the recipe that I have used for several years. There are never any leftovers! By the way, I DO NOT like sweet cornbread, but the TBSP. that I add, gives it a boost and keeps it from being bland.
If you fix this, let me know how you like it!

Cornbread
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 each egg, beaten
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Heat vegetable oil in skillet in oven for 3 minutes.

3. Combine dry ingredients. Add milk and egg; mix until blended. Add melted oil; mix well. Pour into hot skillet; bake 25-30 minutes.
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Corn Bread by Bizymomma (I LOVE cornbread. T...)
Welcome swissmiss!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Corn Bread by Lorraine (Welcome swissmiss!!!...)
OHHH---I'm NOT a purist by any stretch. This is our favorite---straight from New Hampshire!! NO cast iron skillet either--sorry guys.

White Mountain Cornbread

1 cup flour
4 TBLS sugar (sorry again)
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
4 TBLS melted butter
1 cup sour cream

Sift dry ingredients, set aside.
Slightly beat egg; add milk, butter, sour cream. Mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Stir until mixed. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden in a 8"X 8" sprayed pan. (I use light sour cream in this--to reduce the fat--but the regular is GREAT!!)

This is a flavorful, moist cornbread that is awesome with chili and barbecues, etc. Makes 9 servings. May be frozen.

Submitted to the Congressional Cookbook by Mrs. Robert Smith (Wife of prior Senator--NH)
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Corn Bread by Roxanne 21 (OHHH---I'm NOT a pur...)
Yankee corn bread is made with sugar. We don't get it anywhere near the pan. We use a well seasoned cast iron skillet and heat it in the oven before pouring in the batter. We also use bacon drippings instead of veg oil. I especially like black eye peas and broth over my cornbread in a bowl. Sugar!?!? OMG. Bless your heart child.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Corn Bread by Old Bay (Yankee corn bread is...)
Blasphemy! Blasphemy! Sugar in cornbread? Blasphemy! That makes it Johnny Cake [or Journey Cake]. Cornbread should be a savoury bread with things like corn kernels, jalapenos, sage, garlic, bell peppers, etc. mixed in.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Skillet Cornbread

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (heaping Tbs)
1/4 cup oil (bacon grease preferably) -- divided
2 large eggs
1 cup milk or buttermilk (more or less) -- as desired

Preheat oven to 400F.

Place cast iron skillet on a medium to medium-high heat burner. Add half of the oil and insure both the bottom and sides are greased.

Mix together all dry ingredients. Add your eggs and stir. Add the milk a little at a time until you have a medium thick (able to pour it, but it doesn't run) batter. If desired, you may add chiles, corn, onions, cheese, etc. to the batter. A jalapeno chile, seeded, ribbed and chopped tastes especially good.

When the skillet is hot, place one drop of batter in the oil. If it sizzles, your skillet is ready. Pour the batter into the skillet and then place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Slide cornbread from the skillet onto a plate and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can use either 1 cup cornmeal and 1 cup flour or two cups cornmeal. My mother insisted on using white cornmeal since, she said, yellow corn was for the pigs. I believe the yellow has more of a corn flavor..just my opinion.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Corn Bread by bjcotton (Blasphemy! Blasphem...)
Now we're cooking!! But, like your Mom, I use white and stone ground only for me!!
  Re: Corn Bread by swissmiss (Does anyone have a g...)
Old Southern Cornbread
2 cups white cornmeal (Self-Rising) I use White Lily
1/2 cup crisco shortning
1 large egg
approx. 1 cup buttermilk

Grease a 9 inch cake type pan (I use square pan) Heat oven to 450 degrees
In a bowl mix cornmeal and shortning (I cut together with knives). Stir in egg and I begin with 1 cup buttermilk. As my mother told me many years ago. If you want a moist cornbread it should be like a heavy cake batter (will pour from bowl, but thick) If you want a drier bread use less milk. It would be more like a stiff mud. I like mine on the moist side. The weather also determines how much milk you use to get the degree of moisture.
Pour batter into well greased pan and bake for about 45 minutes until GOLDENBROWN Enjoy with butter