Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th
  Re: (...)
What a melange of wonderful flavors!! We loved this dish. The only thing I'd do differently next time is have lots of sour dough to mop up juices!! Leftovers topped some pasta and that was a good thing also. I'd give it a nine - I think I'm still comparing every dish to the Chix roulades with the tomato concasse, it's become my standard for a 10.

I'd certainly make this again. By the way, Issue 49, that this recipe came from, sure has a lot of good sounding dishes in it!

So, someone, what's next?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by cjs (What a melange of wo...)
We love it too. I told Mr HB that I felt like I was sitting in Morocco while we ate this on the deck. The sourdough is a great idea for sopping since the pita just didn't do it for us.

I hadn't contemplated it over pasta but that sounds so good especially with all the lemon flavor. This is definately a recipe for the "Do Again" section of my recipes.

My sister will just love this and after reading the pasta idea, I think I might double the recipe and de-bone 1/2 of the chicken and divide the broth and veggies to serve over pasta at a later date.

I saved one thigh with gravy to have for lunch today...and I happen to have homemade bread (even though I had to interrupt a chat to knead it . Oh my, I have some noodles left over from last night...I'll try it over that pasta. Mmmmmmm.

Great recipe choice, Jean! I give it a nine also. It's a keeper.

Mr HB didn't eat the olives (I ate them out of his bowl when he finished) but I know he really enjoyed something more exciting for dinner. This recipe was a super one to get us started on our new eating project.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by Half_Baked (We love it too. I t...)
Good Lord Jan!! If Mr. HB would even TRY a dish with all these flavors and textures, he'll be game for just about anything we all throw at him!!

Interupted your bread kneading, didcha??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by cjs (What a melange of wo...)
God, guys, I am sooo sorry I haven't been able to do this dish yet! My grandmom is in the hospital (has been there for the past week), and I've hardly been cooking at all (if any!). I'm just too tired. I bought the stuff for it too...I think the poor chicken thighs have gone bad by now! At least it got good reviews so I know it'll go well when I finally get the time and energy to make it. Sorry again...I'll catch up someday...
Tammy
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by cjs (Good Lord Jan!! If M...)
Oh, he knows he'd better TRY it. While the dish is very flavorful, I didn't find it spicy hot at all.

I had purchased some bulk sausage at our meat mkt and my family (including a 5 yo) was sitting around eating breakfast. When Mr HB had a piece of that sausage, he had to get a glass of water. It wasn't mild but it certainly wasn't firery. That's why I have to start slowly with the chilis to get his palate used to it, without him knowing about it. Tongue

TK, I hope your grandmother is better...heck with the chicken thighs.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by Half_Baked (Oh, he knows he'd be...)
I thought this was a great dish!! The beauty of it is the spices used--not in my usual repertoire. I will be honest, (again) when I initially reviewed this recipe I went nah!! Not our thing--but Jean chose it and because I like to "join in"--went for it. Happy I did and thanks to Jean we now have another "do again" recipe.

As stated in one of my previous posts, DH is not too keen on thighs so I went for the breasts--he loves the white meat of any poultry so I try to make him happy. Anyway, I bought chicken breast halves with skin and bones and then cut them in half horizontally. Followed the recipe as directed BUT removed the meat once the thermometer hit 165F. The rest period helped to settle the juices as well---cooked perfectly, most, tender and flavorful. There were some interesting tastes and textures in this dish--and all went together well---We were pleasantly surprised--

I think I might add some plain rice on the side next time.

Instead of the pita, I made a wonderful Morrocan bread--only because that came to mind as I was thinking about the various elements---tangine was the trigger word, I think.

Here is an image of the bread as it came out of the oven. My "professional photographer" gets credit for the hard work---now let's see if the image comes through and I will credit all of you for your time and instructions!!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/s...3a24-1.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/s...2f3a24.jpg

I'm ready for the next test!! Don't know about anybody else but I'm having a great time!!

Oh--dessert was a litchie/mandarin orange with creme de menthe compote--PERFECT end!!

Tammy--prayers are with you!!!! We are here if you need anything!!! Ask!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by Roxanne 21 (I thought this was a...)
First of all, I must say, I know that I would have never tried this dish had it not been for my friends here at C@H. I absolutely LOVED it,…..10 out of 10 for me!

I decided to fix this dish on Friday night. I had the evening to myself….trying to decide what I wanted to do. I looked in the pantry and had all the ingredients in stock to fix the Spiced Chicken Thighs in Tomato Broth with Olives and Chickpeas. Even “fresh” gingerroot….although it was in the freezer. I can only buy big pieces here, so I just cut off what I need and toss it back in the freezer to keep. And oddly enough, I had the chickpeas. I’ve probably had that can in the pantry for a year….or more. Can’t remember why I even ever bought them. I didn’t remember even really liking them that well the first time I tried them.

I had chicken thighs in the freezer, and although they were skinless, I still used them.
They were tender, juicy, flavorful… I was really wishing someone was home to share this wonderful dinner with me.

There are leftovers, um..some..LOL. You know how sometimes things just taste better after it has set overnight…..I’m anxious to taste this dish again tomorrow and see how much more the flavors have melded. I was so excited to try the dish that I even burnt my freakin’ tongue!!!!

If you’re reading this and haven’t fixed this yet, you must give it a try! It will be worth your while!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by Bizymomma (First of all, I must...)
Angela and Roxanne, your comments are the reason I'm so very glad we started this little escapade of ours - the dinner menus!! We're trying things we would normally skim over. I love it!!

Roxanne, a Beautiful book I DON'T have (I have 4 or 5) - will look for it! Your bread looks like we could just reach into the pictures and grab it. It must have been just wonderful!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by cjs (Angela and Roxanne, ...)
Hey, I wasn't thrilled with this recipe [didn't get to make it] after reading it; but, with y'alls comments I just think I might have to try it.

Great photos Roxanne. I've been off bread making for a while, but how about posting that recipe?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Dinner Critique for Sept. 18th by bjcotton (Hey, I wasn't thrill...)
Well here goes my dear friends. A confession, an excuse, and a great story! After reading thru the recipe I was a little ify, but decided to give it a try tho' I'd have to use the leg and thigh quarters I already had in freezer. So it was planned for Sunday's dinner. Now the excuse and story: After lunch James wanted us to go fishing, which was fine with me. We fished for a little while and tho' we had some bites caught nothing worth keeping. We were almost ready to go home and have our chicken when Jamie got a fish on. As he was reeling it in he menitoned it didn't seem like a big one, he'd probbly just get it unhooked and throw it back. Suddenly his line went straight tight! There was an almost audible BOING. Something was fighting hard. As it came near the canoe, he noticed that it was a Northern Pike that was trying to get the fish he already had hooked. It fought and pulled a good bit. Unbelieveably, the hooked fish got away and the Pike got hooked on the lure. Our net wasn't half big enuff and I made two failed attempts to net it head first (that's the right way to do it). Finally, exasperated I scooped under it's tail as it swam by. James was just saying "That'll never work" when I flipped it into the boat like a pancake LOL. It was quite big, 31 inches. It took a while to subdue it in the boat and get it on the stringer too. So anyway we had baked Northern Pike for supper and I guess we'll have this chicken recipe some time this week. My review will be late, but what a cool thing to have happen eh?
BTW I've got a pita bread recipe, but I'd love to see any you all may have
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life