Khubz Mbassis--- Semolina Bread--Morrocan Bread
  Re: (...)
This is the Morrocan bread recipe---really tasty and rustic.

You will need a sourdough starter (biga)--your own recipe or for those that don't have one:

1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1/8 tsp active dry yeast
2 cups all-purpose flour

Place the warm water, yeast and flour in a bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon. Place in a 2 qt plastic container or any container large enough for the starter to triple in size. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight. The starter may be used the next day, but if possible refrigerate it for a few days to develop flavor. You will only need a small amount for this recipe; reserve the remainder in the fridge.

I usually make a half recipe and keep in the fridge for a VERY long time---works!!

To make the bread:

1 TBS active dry yeast (or instant)
1 TBS sugar
2 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/4 cup olive oil
4 TBS seeds of paradise---explanation later
3 cups semolina flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 TBS salt

In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. Add the starter and mix with the paddle until it is incorporated and water is foamy.
Attach the dough hook and add the olive oil, 2 TBS of the seeds of paradise, both flours and the salt. Knead on medium speed until the dough is smooth, elastic and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, about 10 minutes.

Alternatively, combine all ingredients as directed, but beat together with a wooden sppon. Once they are fully incorporated, turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes.
Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Turn the ball to coat all surfaces with oil. Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2-2 hours. Punch down the dough, recover and let rise a second time until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch down the dough and divide into 2 equal portions. On a floured work surface, roll out each potion into a 12 in diameter. Working with one round, lightly brush the outer edge with water. At 1 inch intervals, pull up the edge of the dough and press firmly onto the moistened top, about 1 inch from the edge. The dough will have a fluted appearance, much like a pie dough---see images previously posted. Repeat with the second round. (I only make one round--plenty for us!!)

Place the breads on 1 or 2 baking sheets. Lightly sprinkle the tops with the remainder of the seeds of paradise. Cover them with a kitchen towel and let rise until they are half again as high, about 45 minutes.

While the loaves are rising, preheat oven to 425 degrees--depends on your oven though--I find this a little too hot!! I use a 400 degree temp. A pizza stone works really well with this bread--if you have one.
During the first 15 minutes of baking, lightly spray the loaves with a water mister 3 or 4 times: this will give them a nice crisp crust.

Bake until the loaves are pale gold and sound hollow when the bottoms are tapped, about 45 mintes total--I bake about 35 minutes total. Remove to wire rack to cool. Then DIG IN!! YUMMMMM!!!

Seeds of paradise mixture: Combination of equal parts aniseeds, fennel seeds, sesame seeds and caraway seeds--I add a touch of poppy seeds as well. 1 TBS each is enough for one loaf.

From the Mediterranean---The Beautiful Cookbook series

Jean--I have 14 of this series--and they are all GREAT!!!

Hope you all will try and enjoy!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Khubz Mbassis--- Semolina Bread--Morrocan Bread by Roxanne 21 (This is the Morrocan...)
YUMMY!!! Thanks Roxanne! I'm going to give this a try soon!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Khubz Mbassis--- Semolina Bread--Morrocan Bread by Bizymomma (YUMMY!!! Thanks Roxa...)
Oh Roxanne, sounds delicious!! Copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Khubz Mbassis--- Semolina Bread--Morrocan Bread by Roxanne 21 (This is the Morrocan...)
The bread looks great! I have two of those cookbooks - Texas and The Pacific Northwest. I just love looking at them.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.