Corned Beef
  Re: (...)
I try to cook a few things ahead of time for trailer trips to eat on the travel days and I had a corned beef in the freezer from last St. Paddy's day. A long time ago, a friend on another forum talked about a method he used for making corned beef that I had never tried. I tried it yesterday and if you want to drive the entire neighborhood, not to mention yourself, crazy with good smells coming from your house?? Do this one - Roy spent most of the afternoon asking - "Good God, is it ready to taste yet?"

This is how he posted it - I only had a 2 1/2 lb. beef, so below his are the amounts I used.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CORNED BEEF - ATTIE

"Hi resorts, and welcome. I've worked in an Irish place for a while and we developed a pretty tasty and easy method for doing a kick-butt corned beef. Lay your brisket in a deep hotel pan. If the meat is too big, cut it into more managable pieces. Then, discard the seasoning mix, if one's included. Next, throw in a couple chopped onions, a couple handfuls of garlic cloves, some whole peppercorns and a couple bay leaves. Next, in a mixing bowl, mix about half a gallon of dark beer (a good brown or stout works well) with a cup of molasses and half cup brown sugar, and pour over the meat till about 2/3 covered (supplement with water if needed). Cover tightly with foil and throw into a 350-400 degree oven. For 12lb of beef, it could take upwards of 6-7 hours to cook, but start checking after about 4 hours. You want the beef at an internal temperature of 200 degrees. I know that may sound overcooked, but the brisket is full of tough connective tissue that won't break down until it gets to around 200 degrees. At that point, it'll be fork tender. When it's done, remove the meat to a rack of some sort and allow to rest and cool for a little while. The cooking liquid can then be strained, defatted and used to cook the remainder of the boied dinner, thickened as a gravy or sauce, or just used as a jus.
Good luck
Is this the one Nifty?? It got some pretty good responses"

I cooked mine four hours and it was perfect (mine was ~2 1/2 lbs.)
Amounts I used:
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, smashed up
10-12 black peppercorns
1 Bay leaf
2 bottles (11 oz. each, more than needed, but more beer can't hurt ) Guinness Draught
~ 1/3 c molasses
2 T. brown sugar

Note #1 - I set my Mickey Mouse oven for 375F - so it was in the neighborhood of this, +/-

Note #2 - After four hours, the beef had reached 210F, and was very tender, so I removed from oven then.

Oh my, it tasted as good as it smelled all afternoon. I can hardly wait for the Corned beef and Muenster sandwiches!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Corned Beef by cjs (I try to cook a few ...)
Oh this must makes my mouth water just reading it. My grandmother did hers similar and everyone (myself included) is always so quick to grab the premarinated ones.

I'm going to have to many new and wonderful things to try and when school is done, but this is going on the top of my list for when the fall weather hits.

We adore corned beef! Oh think of the wonderful sandwiches too

Thanks Jean!
  Re: Re: Corned Beef by DFen911 (Oh this must makes m...)
I'm glad it's getting colder here, 75 degrees. A corned beef sounds excellent.

I'm cooking bean soup today, with cornbread and sausage. I think I wrote this on another thread...CRS again.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef by Half_Baked (I'm glad it's gettin...)
There's nothing like a GREAT corned beef---the recipe is a keeper--thanks cjs. Now to get a decent corned beef in the country----never mind a simple brisket!!!!

But will work on it!!! I'm drooling for a samwich!!!

Enjoy your road trip---AGAIN!! Must be a lot of fun--jealous, I am.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Gee that sounds good. Someone (CRS) gave me a similar recipe, using half Guiness and half beef stock. I'm going to have to try this, it'll make the boat nice and toasty on a cool fall evening. Thank you for sharing. Uhm - it was my daughter, uhm I. . . think. . . . maybe not!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Thanks for this recipe! I've been wanting to do this, but I haven't been excited by any recipe I've found (till now).

Temps are coming down here in NH, and the first day of Fall is Saturday, sounds like a Sunday dinner to me!

What were your sides? Picky Eater SO only likes mashed and peas, but that doesn't mean I can't do something fun for me!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Corned Beef by pjcooks (Thanks for this reci...)
PJ, I didn't cook any sides, I only cooked it to have something to make sandwiches out of. But...I almost cried when I took the meat out - I would have loved to have thrown in some potatoes, carrots, celery, cabbage, etc. and cooked them up in all that wonderful 'goop'!!

Now, my problem is I hope we have enuf for sandwiches today, cause that meat has turned out like having pumpkin pie in the fridge - everytime we go by, we cut off a slice and it's getting smaller and smaller.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Corned Beef by cjs (PJ, I didn't cook an...)
I thing Reubens are my favorite sandwich.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Corned Beef by Half_Baked (I thing Reubens are ...)
YES!!!! I love Reubens---haven't had one of those in a while--hmmm

Question for Jean---I noted that you cooked this to 210 degrees---would you do the same for a brisket (not corned)--I'm trying to acheive a moist, NOT dry and grainy texture on my first attempt. I was reading a "dialogue" in Cook's Illustrated that also suggested this temp---that is a great resource for wanna-be-cooks. Lots of information and the reasons for doing what should be done---

Curious to know what a "real chef" has to say about this--your suggestions have been spot on!! You're a star!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
I believe I have some Guinness extra stout in the fridge. I'm not as familiar with beer as I am wine : will this work?

PJ
PJ