Citrus Dust
  Re: (...)
Here is a recipe I promised yesterday. I've made this a couple of times. I think you'll like it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Citrus Dust

Recipe By :Roger Ramjet (Paul Silva)
Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Marinades-Seasonings-Rubs

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
***** NONE *****

~Carefully peel (not zest) oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruits, etc....whatever you want (if you want to blend them, do them separate, then combine later).....but start with oranges, they are easier to work with. Remove the white, bitter pith with a small, sharp knife. Now, you can go two ways with this:
1. Place the peelings on a paper-towel lined plate and put in microwave. Put the microwave on a low setting (defrost or lower) and start with 2 minutes. Nuke. Repeat until the peelings have shrunk, but have not colored (if they have, you have to start over, reducing the power) and are starting to dry out. When they are about 85-95% dried out, remove and let cool at room temp for 10 minutes. They will "crisp up".
2. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put in an oven at 200F or even lower. Look for the same things you would as above - drying up, but not coloring. This may take as long as an hour or so...depending on your oven temp.
~In both cases, you should smell a "fresh" kind of aroma - not cooked.
~When dry and cooled, grind in a VERY CLEAN spice/coffee grinder until finely powdered.
~You will be amazed at the overwhelming aroma and color of your "dust". Place in an airtight container and keep in a dry, cool place. It will last for at least a week, but will get less aromatic as it sits.
~Use it with salt as a citrus dust for fish, or use it to coat game meats (and sear them), add to frostings, cake mixes, ice creams, etc...whenever you want a "shot" of citrus....
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Citrus Dust by bjcotton (Here is a recipe I p...)
I always meant to try this and always forget about it until a recipe comes up with this as the garnish.

Thanks BJ.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Citrus Dust by Half_Baked (I always meant to tr...)
It's really good Jan, especially if you use it the same day.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Citrus Dust by bjcotton (It's really good Jan...)
I make his recipe often. I did one last night for crepes. Love it!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Citrus Dust by bjcotton (Here is a recipe I p...)
Thank you m'dear. I've been looking for this - for something I wanted to make. Tee hee. Now I'll go get my citrus fruit out of the wine cooler and play. On my day off, of course.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Citrus Dust by Harborwitch (Thank you m'dear. I...)
Wow! What a blast from the past - I was lucky enuf to work with Paulie with this on his dessert in Tecumseh, MI - what an exciting chef he is!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com