Jalapeno Beef
  Re: (...)
Jalapeño Beef with Polenta and Chile Sauce
(Cuisine at home, October 2006, Issue 59, p. 38)
Makes: 4 Cups Beef, 3 Cups Polenta, 11⁄3 Cups Sauce Total Time: 45 Minutes Rating: Easy

Saute, Add, and Puree:
1/2 cup onion, sliced
2 dried chiles, seeded, torn
1 corn tortilla, torn
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 T. vegetable oil
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
1 T. fresh lemon juice
Salt to taste

Boil and Fold in:
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup polenta
1 t. kosher salt
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated

Saute and Add:
1 1/2 lb. top sirloin, cut into 1" cubes
3 red jalapeños, sliced
2 T. vegetable oil
1 T. sugar
2 t. chili powder

Saute onion, chiles, tortilla, and garlic for the sauce in a saute pan in 2 T. oil over medium-high heat. Cook until onion softens, then add broth and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium, simmer 2 minutes, then transfer sauce to a blender. Puree with lemon juice until smooth. (While blending, leave the top ajar covered with a towel so steam can escape.)Season with salt.

Boil water in a saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in polenta. Add salt, reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes, stirring often; fold in cheese. Keep polenta warm off heat.

Saute beef and jalapeños in a saute pan in 2 T. oil over high heat. Cook until beef is browned but rare in the center, about 5 minutes. Add sugar, chili powder, and salt to taste; saute another minute. Serve beef over polenta with chile sauce.

To enhance flavor, saute the onion, chiles, and tortilla pieces briefly. Add the broth and tomatoes, then simmer until softened.
Puree sauce in a blender until smooth. Don’t overfill the carafe and keep the lid ajar while blending so steam can escape
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Jalapeno Beef by Bizymomma (Jalapeño Beef with P...)
When I made it before I used pasella chiles. Very mild and earthy flavor. If you are worried about the jalapenos removing the seeds and membranes will cool them down.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by Old Bay (When I made it befor...)
This sounds very good. Mmmmm, polenta!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by Half_Baked (This sounds very goo...)
I have to hurry and catch up here - is this what we're making for the next (after the one of the 6th) dinner 'party'?? I've been wanting to make this since Bill had me drooling over it after his review a while back.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by cjs (I have to hurry and ...)
Right cj, first the pork tenderloin due Oct 6 and I think this one gets reviewed Oct 16th? Fall has kicked in and the pots are clinking now
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by farnfam (Right cj, first the ...)
Lawd, Lawd! A gal gets a little under the weather and look what happens! Behinder and behinder...when did Y'all take a vote on this one?

Can I play along, or does this require an invitation?

And, "Hey!" I thought the next dinner was the 2nd??
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by dollop (Lawd, Lawd! A gal g...)
Quote:

And, "Hey!" I thought the next dinner was the 2nd??

That's what I had written down but I just scribbled a 6 over it. The 6th is better for me, actually.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by Half_Baked ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The Balasamic Pork Tenderloin is our next dinner. I was thinking it was due on 2nd....could be the 6th tho...
Bill thought the Jalapeno Beef would make a great dinner too, so we decided to do that one and make that critique the 16th! We're just all gung-ho! LOL
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef by Bizymomma (The Balasamic Pork T...)
Is this the one we decided on????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Jalapeno Beef - Our Next Dinner?????? by cjs (Is this the one we d...)
Yep....now if it wasn't 95 degrees, I'd be gung-ho!