Raspberry Napoleon
  Re: (...)
I thot I got this recipe from c@h, but I guess not - and I can't for the life of me remember where it did come from. But, it's a great one for trailer life! I served them in over-size martini glasses with 'shards' of the fried won tons - great look, easy and yummy. The guys were trying to lick the glasses - oh, for a camera.

Raspberry Napoleons

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
1/8 pound unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 4 pieces
1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
peanut oil, for deep-frying
8 square wonton wrappers
1/4 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
lemon or orange zest, cut into thin strips, for garnish
Raspberry Coulis (recipe follows)

Preparation:

In a saucepan, whisk together the egg and egg yolk. Whisk in the sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add the butter pieces all at once and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to develop body and thickens, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Do not boil. Remove from the heat and pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

In a bowl, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold the chilled lemon mixture into the cream. Cover and chill.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Drop individual wontons into the oil, 3 or 4 at a time, frying them until they are just golden brown. Remove carefully with tongs to paper towels to drain. Repeat until done. Cool the wrappers and break them each into two pieces and dust with confectioners' sugar.

To assemble the Napoleons, ladle a pool of the Raspberry Coulis onto cold serving plates. Forming 4 layers in all, alternate broken wontons and spoonfuls of the lemon cream, ending with the cream. Garnish with citrus zest. Serve immediately.

Raspberry Coulis

Ingredients:

2 pints fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Preparation:

Combine the berries, sugar and lemon juice in a food processor or blender. Process until it is smooth. Pass through a wire fine mesh strainer to remove seeds. Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.
-----

O.K. I think I know what forum I got this - I'll go check and see if I can find out who...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Raspberry Napoleon by cjs (I thot I got this re...)
I love raspberries--I copied the recipe for Jane--she cooks the sweets but doesn't do computers. I think I want to try this. I'm a savory sort of guy in the kitchen.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Raspberry Napoleon by Old Bay (I love raspberries--...)
Very nice, Jean! Thanks.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Raspberry Napoleon by Lorraine (Very nice, Jean! Th...)
Thank you, Jean...this sounds deeelish!