Rice Balls
  Re: (...)
Does anyone have a recipe for Fried Rice Balls?
  Re: Rice Balls by JWadowsky (Does anyone have a r...)
Arancini? I think Kitchen and Cook (do I have that title right?) had one, or maybe FC? I'll try to find the magazines for you.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Rice Balls by JWadowsky (Does anyone have a r...)
here's one for you - oh boy are they good! I'm glad you brot this subject up, haven't made them for a long while...

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN FRIED RICE BALLS W/GRUYERE

Food & Wine, 10/05 - Oven-Fried Rice Balls with Gruyère

MAKES ABOUT 30 RICE BALLS

Flecked with black pepper and Gruyere, these crusty rice balls are an irresistible hors d'oeuvres. They're great for parties because they are baked rather than fried.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced 1 cup arborio rice
2 cups water
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese (2 1/2 ounces)
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
¼ cup mixed chopped herbs, such as thyme, basil and oregano
Salt and cracked black pepper
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Lightly oil a large, rimmed baking sheet. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for30 seconds. Stir in the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat, stir-ring occasionally, until the water has been completely absorbed, about 10 minutes. Scrape the rice into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.

2. Stir the Gruyère, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and all of the chopped herbs into the rice. Season the rice with salt and generously season with coarsely cracked pepper.

3. In a medium stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Stir one-fourth of the whites into the rice to loosen the mixture, then stir in the remaining whites. Roll the rice into 11/2-inch balls.

4. In a shallow bowl, toss the panko with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan. Dredge the rice balls in the panko crumbs and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Bake the rice balls in the upper third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to a platter and serve.

WINE Savory Gaston-Chiquet ler Cru Tra-dition Carte Verte Brut NV, which has a high percentage of Pinot Meunier. *
o OCTOBER 2005 - Food & Wine magazine
We served Veuve Ambal Blanc de Blanc - very good.

Serving Ideas : ------
Served with Apple Cranberry Pear Chutney, from Earth Vine Provisions - www.earthvine.com
Earth & Vine Provisions, Inc.
P.O. Box 1637
Loomis, CA 95650
(or make your own chutney)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rice Balls by cjs (here's one for you -...)
These sound really yummy cj. I remember the pizza places in Brooklyn used to have Rice Balls. They were big as a tennis ball, at least they looked that way to me when I was a kid. I haven't seen them offered on a menu anywhere in years.
Tammy, do the pizza places by you still have them?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Rice Balls by farnfam (These sound really y...)
No, they sure don't, but I wish they did...they sound yummy!
Tammy
  Re: Re: Rice Balls by cjs (here's one for you -...)
I don't think I have ever had rice balls--at least I don't recall. We will soon enough though--nice idea. Printed---ANOTHER ONE!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy