Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding
  Re: (...)
Hi All,

Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding. The one I have been using is not our favorite...Would love to get one from you guys.

Thanks
  Re: Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding by piano226 (Hi All,[br][br]Does ...)
Is this one enuf different from yours to sound interesting??
Made this over the years -

RICE PUDDING
Serves 8

3/4 cup long-grain rice -- raw
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs -- slightly beaten
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup golden raisins (or currants, dried cranberries and nuts, or....)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar
whipped cream
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

This was the oldest standby in the restaurant business and was adopted by the diners when the car became available to all.

Prepare the rice in 1 1/2 cups of water according to package directions.

Meanwhile heat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.

In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, grated peels, vanilla, and salt beating until well blended. Stir the raisins into the rice and spoon the rice mixture into the prepared baking dish. Pour the egg mixture over the rice and sprinkle with the cinnamon.

Place the baking dish in the oven in a larger baking pan filled with enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes until pudding is almost set, stirring once after 10 minutes and again 15 minutes later.

Remove the baking dish from the larger pan and cool on a wire rack, cooling until cold.

Refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours or overnight until the pudding is firm. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
-----

Here's one that isn't rice pudding, but I thot of as I read your post - a real family favorite!

CHOCOLATE TAPIOCA PUDDING

2 cups milk
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels (I prefer bittersweet)
1 tsp. vanilla

In a medium saucepan, combine milk, honey & tapioca; let stand for 10 minutes.

Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently; cook & stir 3 minutes.

Remove from heat; add chocolate morsels and vanilla, stirring till chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Serve warm or chilled.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding by cjs (Is this one enuf dif...)
OOOOOOOOO..sounds delish...i am trying it today.

Thank you thank you
  Re: Re: Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding by piano226 (OOOOOOOOO..sounds de...)
That does sound incredibly yummy---DH loves rice pudding. When he has an upset tummy that is usually the one thing asks for--for whatever reason it does calm him down. I have a favorite that I will post tomorrow, sometime.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding by Roxanne 21 (That does sound incr...)
TEN lashes with a wet noodle------sorry--I forgot to post this---CRS!!!!

Rice pudding

2 quarts milk
1 cup uncooked rice
raisins or sultanas--as many (or few) as you like
dash of salt
1 TBS butter
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 heaping TBS flour
2 TBS vanilla
1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon

In a saucepan cook 2 quarts milk, rice, raisins, butter and salt until the rice is almost soft. Add sugar, stirring to prevent burning. Cook until rice is soft. Set aside. In a bowl beat eggs, flour, vanilla (We love vanilla but cut back if you're not as keen) anad 1/2 cup milk until smooth and free of lumps. Stir egg mixture into rice and bring to a boil. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with cinnamon.

SERVES 12

This is a really easy recipe---as the rice etc. is softening and the milk reduces I usually add a bit of light cream (maybe 1 cup or less) to make this a bit richer (YIKES) and creamier...then continue as stated. DH loves raisins so I always add a ton--any amount will do and not alter the final result.

This is from The Longyear Cookbook-recipe submitted by Irene Harer from Clifton, New Jersey 1989

I have tweaked this along the way--

DH is standing over my shoulder and because he sees this post---guess what he wants??? That solves that problem for dessert decision today-YIPPEE!!!

I am going to try Jean's recipe at some point--that's sooooo decadent---may just be a replacement but DH hates change.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Does anybody have a recipe for Rice Pudding by Roxanne 21 (TEN lashes with a we...)
Perfect timing for collecting rice pudding recipes - well, except Roxanne! - I love it in the colder weather.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com