Sweet Corn Stock
  Re: (...)
This is the time of year you can get some good buys on corn and having corn stock in the freezer is SO nice. I use it for risottos, couscous, soups/stews, anything that would benefit from a little corn flavor.

Sweet Corn Stock
This idea/recipe came from a great chef friend, Kelly Johnson from, at one time, Tecumseh, MI - this chef is so talented he's scary. Give him a product and he just flys with it!!

1 large onion, rough cut
1 carrot, rough cut
2 stalks celery, rough cut
15-20 corn cobs, kernels removed and reserved
6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 tsp whole peppercorns
2 tbs butter
1 gallon blond chicken stock, veg stock or water

1. In a 3 gallon stock pot add the butter and sweat the celery, carrot and onion
2. Add the corn cobs, herbs, peppercorns and stock or water and bring to a simmer
3. Simmer 45 minutes if you use stock and 1.5 hrs if water.(I usually use at least part stock of some kind)
4. Strain, season, degrease and cool

so nice to have in the freezer.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sweet Corn Stock by cjs (This is the time of ...)
Thanks, Jean. I'm still getting fresh local corn at the Farmer's Market. And it's a long weekend here, so, I have an extra day to play!!!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by Lorraine (Thanks, Jean. I'm s...)
Lorraine, this is the one Kelly got me started making when we were in Tecumseh - been making it ever since. He also used it for his Quinoa at one of the fund raisers.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by cjs (Lorraine, this is th...)
I thought it sounded familiar!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by Lorraine (I thought it sounded...)
That sounds so good. I'm going to remember it for next year when we have have our corn season. Fresh picked corn in my area has long since been gone. It doesn't last nearly long enough for me.
Calliope
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by Calliope (That sounds so good....)
That should work well with my Chicken Adobe with Corn Chowder recipe and make it cornier .
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by bjcotton (That should work wel...)
Now this is something that I will be able to make year round---fresh corn on the cob is always available here in the markets---and good quality too. We don't get the butter and sugar variety very often but guess we can't have it all. Great suggestions for uses--printed and filed. Thanks Jean
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by Roxanne 21 (Now this is somethin...)
all year round???? Do you have any idea how fast Roy would pack his bags if he knew that?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Sweet Corn Stock by cjs (This is the time of ...)
Why didn't I know this when I was putting up 30 ears of corn a month and a half ago... Next year.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Sweet Corn Stock by esgunn (Why didn't I know th...)
I would be in heaven if we got fresh picked corn all year round. We have what appears to be fresh corn on the cob much of the year, but it's just not the same as the corn you get in season which is picked the day you buy it. There's such a huge difference. I buy the other, but it's not the same.
Calliope