Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way
  Re: (...)
Some of us have cooked it before, and some cooked it for the first time this week. What's your favourite way of cooking it?

Mine, if I'm feeling decadent, is to cook it al dente. then add butter, cream, grated parmigiano reggiano, sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and maybe a bit of fresh thyme, sage, oregano or parsley, or a combination. It's also really good with the tomato concasse!!

So, what's yours?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by Lorraine (Some of us have cook...)
Mmmm Lorraine, fun topic! er..yummy topic!
I like mine with chopped black olives, feta cheese, salt and black pepper! Sometimes I add chopped tomatoes (when they're in season and tasty)
I really like orzo. It's a fun side dish!
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by Bizymomma (Mmmm Lorraine, fun t...)
Well, so far I like mine cooked in chicken broth with salt, pepper, and mushrooms . I'll use the parm. reg. next time
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by bjcotton (Well, so far I like ...)
I think it would be a great thing to put on a buffet menu, and I shall. A bit like polenta, depends what you put into it. Not that I have cooked either. ;Þ
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by vannin (I think it would be ...)
I'm so glad to 'know' orzo now. We sure have been missing a great side dish.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by Lorraine (Some of us have cook...)
Yum! Butter, cream and Parm Reg! I like it with a spritz of nice OO, Parm Reg, and tomatoes and basil from my garden.

Orzo appears on our buffet on a regular basis. It's a great vehicle for "bits and pieces".
PJ
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by pjcooks (Yum! Butter, cream ...)
I agree with pj. I add what I have left over in the fridge. It's a wonderful side- simple or complex, it is a great vehicle to carry flavors.

We love to add asparagus or mushrooms and whatever cheese hits us. Ya can't go wrong wtih good cheese and Orzo!!
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by Half_Baked (I'm so glad to 'know...)
No orzo here but seems to me as though this is similar to a rissoto---comments?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by Roxanne 21 (No orzo here but see...)
Not really Roxanne - there is a cooking method for orzo that is similar to a risotto or you can just cook it in lots of water as you would any other pasta.

I like orzo added to any vege soup; tossed with chives, lemon zest & juice and lots of black pepper; and it's great added to 'stuffing' for peppers for a change from rice.

I think this is my favorite way to have orzo - I love this for lunch on a cold, wintry day - it was one of those 'back of the box' recipes - aren't they great??

* Exported from MasterCook *

TOMATO ORZO SOUP

Ronzoni Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 c water
14 1/2 oz. can whole tomatoes -- undrained & chopped or stewed tomatoes, undrained.
6 oz. can tomato paste -- ~2/3 cup
2 cubes beef bouillon -- reduced sodium
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp minced onions
1 tsp dried basil -- leaves (or fresh)
4 ozs orzo -- uncooked
Grated Parmesan cheese

In 4-qt. pan, stir together water thru basil; heat to boiling.
Add uncooked pasta; reduce heat to med-high.
Cook, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, 10 min. or till pasta is tender.

Serve w/grated Parmesan cheese.

Yield:
"8 c"
Serving Ideas : First made 3/19/99 at Bodega Bay
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Orzo - What's Your Favourite Way by cjs (Not really Roxanne -...)
Great recipe, thanks!

For those of you who add mushrooms, do you fry them first?
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.