Stocks
  Re: (...)
I've heard that there are no stupid questions but....

Let's use the corn stock as an example. I don't want to store a gallon of it. If I were to use 1/2 gallon of chicken stock and the rest of the ingredients as the recipe specified, and froze it.

Could I add more chicken broth when I used it and have the same flavor since the original would be concentrated?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Stocks by Half_Baked (I've heard that ther...)
Jan, forgive me but I don't understand the question?? Help--I am mentally challenged on this one.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Stocks by Roxanne 21 (Jan, forgive me but ...)
LOL. If I used 1/2 the amount of water but used the all the other ingredients as the recipe specified, would it be a concentrate that I could reconstitute with broth/water when I wanted to use it.

This way it would take up only 1/2 the space in my freezer.

Is this clearer?
Jan

Re: Re: Stocks by Half_Baked (LOL. If I used 1/2 ...)
Jan, I would suggest using the old marking trick... mark 1/2 gallon in 'the pot of your choice' . Make the entire recipe, but reduce it down to 1/2 gallon - that way it will be much more concentrated and I think you'll be happier. I'd be realy careful diluting it tho, it's a delicate flavor, so maybe add a little and taste as you add.

I'm with you on freezer space. When we left California, we sold both freezers, the downstairs frig w/a freezer and left the upstairs frig w/another big freezer.... First thing I had to do when we got here was buy another freezer!! Now, I'm making noises about a second one - I just can't not have all this stuff ready.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stocks by cjs (Jan, I would suggest...)
I'm with Jean on this one. Having made my 22nd batch of stock this week. Reducing to the 1/2 gallon mark is going to give you a very tasty stock If it's too strong later when you make your dish you can always add a tad of water.

I wouldn't add 'broth' to it as broth is very salty (even the reduced brand has too much) and since your stock is your base you may end up with a real salty dish.
  Re: Re: Stocks by DFen911 (I'm with Jean on thi...)
well, shoot...I assumed Jan meant her homemade chix broth...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stocks by cjs (well, shoot...I assu...)
LOL, as a matter of fact I did . I always have homemade chicken stock in the freezer, separated into pint containers. Never have made beef, veal or fish stock but after reading about the oven stocks, I may do that when it gets cooler.

Marking the pot and using the toothpick will change my life...how simple!

Never have gone to the trouble of making my stock clear. That can be a project too!
Jan

Re: Re: Stocks by Half_Baked (LOL, as a matter of ...)
Stupid question....why would you want it to be clear? Does it change the taste or quality? I've never made stock..
Loving every moment of my life!!
  Re: Re: Stocks by Bizymomma (Stupid question....w...)
Not stupid at all - the goal of every chef and cook is to produce a clear stock. Which means it hasn't been allowed to boil and 'stir' up the raft (hope I'm remembering the correct term...) I suppose purists could say the flavor is changed. My chef/instructor even had us place the pot towards the edge of the burner so there was a circular motion to the stock as it cooked. Also, the impurities should be skimmed off as the stock cooks.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Stocks by cjs (Not stupid at all - ...)
I'm with Angela on this...WHY would you want a clear stock? I like to see bits of this and that swirling around in my stock...maybe it's my imagination, but it seems more flavorful.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy