Best Chili Ever?
  Re: (...)
Okay, I'm gearing up for a November chili cookoff that my company runs every year for a charity. I enter every year. I test it on my family and they swear that it is the best ever. I love to cook, and I must admit, I usually feel really good about it myself. But I never win. It's a basic, medium hot chili with quality beef chunks, just enough beans, fresh onion and peppers, and good spices (combo of chipotle and chili powder and kosher salt), etc. Not too soupy, not too thick. Clearly, I need an edge that I'm missing - anyone got one for me???? Thanks!!!
  Re: Best Chili Ever? by carolekv (Okay, I'm gearing up...)
Well, I've heard of cinnamon being used for flavor, as well as chocolate and sometimes masa to thicken it up...

I'm just thinking of twists. What have the chilis' that won, look like or taste like? Thick, thin, chunks, ground?
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
  Re: Re: Best Chili Ever? by Half_Baked (Well, I've heard of ...)
My "secret" ingredient is a bay leaf or two--I have read many rave reviews with the added chocolate but have not personally tried. GOOD LUCK with whatever your choice is--I love a person that does not give up, EVER!!! Go for it--
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
Leave out the beans. I replace some of the water with a bottle of dark beer. I also add a can of diced tomatoes.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Best Chili Ever? by Old Bay (Leave out the beans....)
I'm one of those cooks whose chili probably never tastes the same twice - but I agree with Bill re the beer. Or add brown stock or demi-glace; yes to cornmeal and/or unsweetened chocolate.

Hope you'll keep us up to date on your quest!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
I've messed around with chili for a while and discovered what everyone considers among the best they've had. I use fresh jalepenos and two types of the dried chilis (the long red one and round red one). You have to soak the dried chilis in boiling water for a half hour or so. Then dice them up really finely. (I also wear disposable gloves while chopping the hot peppers). Use cumin and corriander (ground) and the real secret ingredients:

during the last 1/2 hour of cooking add the chopped stems from a bunch of cilantro.

Garnish the chili with chopped cilantro and a spritz of fresh line juice. It really brightens it up.

Good luck.
I made chili this week. I don't know if it's the "best chili ever", but I like it. I use many of the things suggested above~beer, unsweetened chocolate, a little brown sugar if it has any bitter taste at all, lots of fresh chopped jalapenos, onions, garlic, a can of rotel tomatoes and masa, along with the usual dry seasonings.
I don't like it too thick or too thin. I garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream. I'm in the NO BEANS IN CHILI camp.

To me, chili is somewhat like gumbo. Folks can put whatever they want in it to suit their own tastes and everyone seems to have a different idea of what chili should taste like. That's one reason, I've always wondered how chili and gumbo cookoffs work out. So many differents ways to make them and so many personal tastes.

Best of luck to you and when you decide on your recipe, please share it!
Calliope
  Re: Get a frame for that blue ribbon by lxxf (I've messed around w...)
now, that sounds like something to try - adding cilantro!! Have never done that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Get a frame for that blue ribbon by cjs (now, that sounds lik...)
It's a bit time consuming to strip off the leaves, which we do anyway, and I love the thought of using the stems in the cooking and the leaves as garnish. Don't forget the lime wedge - just a little squirt really perks it up.

We also garnish with sour cream and shreaded jack cheese or cheddar
  Re: Re: Get a frame for that blue ribbon by lxxf (It's a bit time cons...)
Lime, I have used, but not the cilantro - I'll add my vote for topping with Jack/Cheddar - usually a mixture of.
www.achefsjourney.com