Birthday Breakfast?
  Re: (...)
Well, guys, my birthday is coming up on the 26th, and we've already got dinner parties scheduled till the 30th. So I was thinking that instead of a birthday dinner, I'd like a birthday breakfast. I'd really like to make the huevos rancheros in Issue 50. I've never had huevos rancheros or anything like it so this should be quite an experience. I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested in joining me.
Tammy
  Re: Birthday Breakfast? by TwilightKitten (Well, guys, my birth...)
Surely I would..happy birthday my friend. Perhaps I will prepare it and have it several times since there will only be me and three dogs
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by bjcotton (Surely I would..happ...)
Happy Birthday coming soon Tammy dear!! We do huevos rancheros often, and that recipe is a good one. We'll be happy to cook it again as your birthday breakfast. What day do you think for the review?
Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by farnfam (Happy Birthday comin...)
Happy Birthday, pretty soon!

I would be glad to join in. I will need the recipe though...sorry to bother anyone. I'm always asking for the recipe.
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by dollop ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMMY!!!!! This would be good as a brunch as well---we don't do breakfast very often (only when we have guests) but will do brunch the same day---haven't made this either!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by Roxanne 21 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAMMY...)
sounds like a winning idea - I lost the list of everyone's b'days when my hard-drive crashed. Did anyone else keep a list they could post?? And the new birthdays we need to list also!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by cjs (sounds like a winnin...)
Awww, thanks everybody! I'm not sure what day the review should be...how does the 31st sound?

Here's the recipe:

Huevos Rancheros
(Cuisine at home, April 2005, Issue 50, p. 12)

Makes: 2 1/2 Cups Salsa; 4 Servings Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Black Bean Chili—
Sort, Rinse, and Cook:
2 cups dried black beans

Toast:
1 T. cumin seed
1 T. dried oregano

Saute in 1/4 Cup Olive Oil:
2 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 1/4 t. paprika
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cayenne
Toasted cumin and oregano
1/2 t. garlic, minced (optional)

Stir in:
1 1/2 cups canned, crushed tomatoes
3 T. jalapeños, finely chopped
Cooked black beans

For the Salsa—
Combine:
2 cups tomatoes, cored and chopped
1/3 cup red onion, minced
1/4 cup scallions, minced
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 T. white wine vinegar
2 t. minced fresh oregano (or 1 t. dried)
1 t. garlic, minced
1/2 t. salt
1 –2 jalapeños, seeded and minced

For the Huevos—
Warm:
8 small or 4 large tortillas, corn or flour

Sprinkle on Tortillas:
2 cups Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar cheese, grated

Heat:
2 cups prepared salsa

Break; Poach in Salsa:
8 eggs

Spread on Tortillas; Top with:
3 cups Black Bean Chili, warmed Poached eggs

Season; Garnish with:
Salt and pepper to taste
Shredded lettuce
Sour cream
Chopped black olives
Chopped fresh cilantro
Remaining salsa

Sort the beans, then rinse well. Place them in a large pot and add water to cover by several inches. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat. Boil gently for 1 3/4 hours, or until tender. Add more water if you start to see the beans. When beans are tender, strain them, saving 1/2 cup of the cooking water; add it back to the strained beans.

Toast cumin and oregano in a small skillet over med.-low heat for 4–6 min.

Saute the onions, pepper, seasonings, and garlic in the oil over med. heat for about 10 min., or until onions are soft.

Stir in tomatoes and jalapeños; add the beans and stir. Serve immediately, or let cool, then chill or freeze.

Combine all the ingredients for the salsa and chill. (Use within 2 days.)

Warm the tortillas for the Huevos in the oven, flipping them after 2–3 min.

Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on each small tortilla (1/2 cup on large); continue heating until melted.

Heat the salsa to near boiling in a large saute pan.

Break each egg into a small bowl and gently add to the salsa. Begin with 2 in the center, then circle the pan with the remaining 6 eggs. Poach over medium heat, covered for about 3 min. If the eggs stick to the bottom of the pan, gently run a rubber spatula underneath them to loosen.

Spread tortillas with 3/4 cup chili; top with 2 eggs and poaching salsa. Garnish with salt and pepper to taste, shredded lettuce, sour cream, chopped black olives, chopped fresh cilantro, and remaining salsa.

Nutrition Information (Per serving):
810 calories 42% calories from fat 37g total fat 53g carb. 819mg sodium 16g fiber
Tammy
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by TwilightKitten (Awww, thanks everybo...)
I am so ready to make these - we love Huevos Rancheros!! Good choice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by cjs (I am so ready to mak...)
Oh my that sounds good. Huevos Rancheros are one of my favorite foods! I do love the eggs poached in the salsa too.
I'll be sure to make them, but afraid it will be Saturday - Thursday is a work day for us. We will be thinking of you and wishing you a happy birthday!!!!

Our local fav. Mexican place serves Huevos Divorcados - one side is covered in a red sauce and the other a green sauce.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Birthday Breakfast? by Harborwitch (Oh my that sounds go...)
Quote:

Our local fav. Mexican place serves Huevos Divorcados - one side is covered in a red sauce and the other a green sauce.

Oh my, that sounds good too. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.