Scalloped potatoes
  Re: (...)
What issue had really really good scallped potatoes?

ALso ...anybody wants to share their favorite?

THanks
  Re: Scalloped potatoes by piano226 (What issue had reall...)
I just cut the pots. into slices and layer them with S&P and a brush of butter then pour cream over the whole lot and bake it. Very simple but good. If you want to get involved with cheese and onion etc. thats good too. I make the top all pretty though.
  Re: Re: Scalloped potatoes by vannin (I just cut the pots....)
I do what Vannin does. To me the trick is heavy cream, not light. You can put cheese on the top or panko bread crumbs at the end. Put a few dollops of butter on top of the crumbs and pop it back in the oven to get them browned.

Very yummy dish and a LOT better than those boxed things *shudders*
Well, my favorite is make up some bechamel sauce (to ~4 lbs. tatoes, you'll need ~1 qt. sauce) and also saute some leeks to add to the layering.

Be sure to add a sprinkle of nutmeg to your bechamel.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Scalloped potatoes by cjs (Well, my favorite is...)
I never thought of that. That would be tasty!

I'm going to do that next time
piano, I think the one you want is Issue 20, page 19. I made this last week along with a pork roast. The flavors from the infusion are wonderful!! Tip--I also add a touch of nutmeg---scalloped potatoes need nutmeg!! For those searching for this recipe it is under potatoes: gratin.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Scalloped potatoes by Roxanne 21 (piano, I think the o...)
This is in the cookbook Jean mentioned:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Loin Chop and Potato Casserole

Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:20
Categories : Pork-Ham

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 large *loin chops (cheapest boneless cut)
oil -- for frying
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 soup can milk
3 large russet potatoes -- peeled and sliced
1 large onion -- chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350F.

*Trim excess fat. Cutting chops from the pork loin is fairly inexpensive.

In a large skillet saute the onions in oil until translucent. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large saucepan. In the remaiining oil (add more if needed) brown the chops on both sides. When browned lay the chops in the bottom of an 10 1/2- X 14 1/2-inch casserole dish.

Add the soups and milk to onions and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When warm, pour about half of the soup mixture over the browned chops. Layer the potatoes on top of the chops/soup, overlapping edges about 1/3 of the width of the potato slices. When finished, pour the remaining soup mixture over the potatoes. Cover with foil; If desired you may layer crushed potato chips over the top of the casserole. Bake for approximately 90-120 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chops). Remove foil and check for doneness with a fork. Return to oven for about 15 minutes to brown the top.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Scalloped potatoes by bjcotton (This is in the cookb...)
"This is in the cookbook Jean mentioned:"
????? when? how? why? who?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com