Duck in Orange Sauce with Cherries
  Re: (...)
Duck in Orange Sauce with Cherries

Serves 4
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ½ hours, plus sauce time (about 20 minutes)

Ingredients
5 lb. duck (I have always cooked a frozen one---no luck finding fresh ducks here)
Salt and pepper
Pinch of cinnamon
½ cup seasoned flour
A little butter or oil

Sauce:
2 lumps of sugar
Juice of 2 oranges (+/- 1 cup)
1 TBS wine vinegar
1 ¼ cup brown demi glace sauce or thickened gravy
1 tsp tomato paste
4 mint leaves, chopped
½ cup white port wine or sherry
1 TBS Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur)

Garnish:
Peeled segments of 2 oranges
12 pitted red cherries (I use maraschino)
1 TBS snipped chives or mint leaves

METHOD

1. Season duck inside and out with salt, pepper and cinnamon. Coat with a little butter or oil and dust with flour. Roast at 400 degrees for 1 hour, then reduce heat to 350 degrees for a further 30 minutes. Baste the duck frequently with the fat and turn each time (I do turn each time BUT do not baste)
2. Remove the duck from the oven and drain the juice from the roasting pan for use in the sauce, also drain away the excess fat.
3. Put the roasting pan on top of the stove. Rub the sugar lumps with a little orange rind and place in the pan, moisten with vinegar and let caramelize. Add the brown sauce or gravy, tomato paste, port, juice, and mint leaves. Boil for ten minutes, then strain into a smaller saucepan. Add the Grand Marnier and season to taste. Using a zester, make strips of orange zest as thin as matches. Boil these in water for ten minutes. Drain and add to sauce. Reboil for 2 minutes.
4. Cut the duck into 4. Chop away the back bone and discard the ribs of the two breasts.
5. Place each duck portion on plate coated with sauce. Garnish with orange segments, cherries and mint leaves or chives.

Recipe from THE MASTER CHEF
A Complete Guide to the Great Cuisines of the World

Author: Chef Jean Conil

I stumbled on the recipe somewhere along the way and it has been our favorite ever since. Some of the steps may sound strange to the pros but this has always worked for me. The skin is always super crispy and the meat is juicy and melt in your mouth tender.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Duck in Orange Sauce with Cherries by Roxanne 21 (Duck in Orange Sauce...)
Oh Roxanne, that sounds sooo good. I've always wanted to do duck, but I always "chicken" out. Today we are going to a bigger town to shop. I'm at least going to price the frozen ducks (no chance of fresh here either). This seems so elegant, Roxanne, you're inspiring me to get bold and do it
Cis
Empress for Life
sounds delicious, Roxanne - doesn't sound odd to this old kitchen dog. That's the way to get a nice crisp skin - why didn't you baste also???? Duly copied!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck in Orange Sauce with Cherries by cjs (sounds delicious, Ro...)
I've got to make this for Mr HB. It's his favorite meal and I only made it once...it was horrible, but that was years ago. Hopefully my cooking has improved.
Jan

Please spay and neuter your pets.
I've only made duck once, and I roasted it and wasn't quite pleased with the result. I did some research online and one recipe called for boiling the duck for 1/2 hour before roasting, which was supposed to render most of the fat so that it turned out really crispy.

I also have a character flaw which prohibits me from enjoying sweet sauces with main dishes. For some reason I associate sweets with dessert and have never learned to enjoy them.
  Re: Re: Duck in Orange Sauce with Cherries by cjs (sounds delicious, Ro...)
I don't know---the crispiness of the skin is incredible--I thought (I shouldn't think) that basting might make it a bit soggy--didn't want to chance it--why spoil perfection?

This is about the best recipe for duck we have enjoyed!!

The sauce is NOT sweet---just the right change to take some of the richness away---
  Re: Re: Duck in Orange Sauce with Cherries by farnfam (Oh Roxanne, that sou...)
It is not a difficult recipe at all---my tip---read through the recipe carefully a few times--you will note how to cut corners and decrease time at end with cooking the sauce. When ready to juice your orange-then zest the peel and boil--then it is all ready to add at the end....small things like that will help to keep this less complicated than it looks. Hope you all enjoy this!!!